Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My BTCC inspired Nissan Primera build

Senior User
    Sunny Sunderland by the sea. Well, inbetween there and Durham.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My BTCC inspired Nissan Primera build

Right, I may as well add a WIP for my car on here. A couple of you have asked if had one in the past and there is a few non Nova builds on here ATM so I will join in Lol. Plus it gives me a better place to ask any questions I have.

The plan is to make a fast road/occasional track day car with a slight resemblance to the kick ar$e Super Tourers of the 90's.

Bear with me whilst I bring you up to speed...

I have owned the car since 2001 when it was purchased from the original keeper as a totally standard 1600cc Si model. The car has had various minor modifications over the years, better spec parts, engine transplants etc.
    I sourced a CF ex-works splitter and some Raceline RL7's with the intention of making an ST replica, but after running into roll cage manufacturing issues I changed my mind.
    I then aquired a late model [P11-144)] rear end (boot, bumper, lights) smoothed over those panels and did the same to a P11-GT front bumper and numerous other modifications.
    Not to mention an amazing KISH retrim - I need to sell this now!
    I then made the mistake of sending the car to be painted at Mel Horn bodyshop, the car came out the wrong colour [despite me supplying a correct paint code only to be told it was incorrect] and overall it was a poor job. It came back painted in Aston Martin Tungsten silver not Titanium silver FFS.

Avoid this bodger at all costs!

For numerous reasons (and other projects) I lost interest in the car so it sat in the garage for who knows how long.

Not long ago I decided to sell all of my flushed panels, s/s exhaust, SQ audio etc etc as I no longer have any interest in that stuff and think it can look a bit naff plus I don't want to be associated with the euro boys .

That's about it so far for this car. I have condensed this essay as no doubt you, like I don't want to hear it . L14 MNP has been off the road for over 5 years now. Terrible for a car built in 1998!

I only stick with this car as it was my first I guess.
    At least it gives me a very clean base to do what I intended to do from the start, build a fun and capable Nissan Primera.

Here's a quick few pics of the boring crap.

First guise

The way it nearly seen the road (this was all done around 4 years ago)

Can see my old 14 SR in this pic.

Smoothed the bay

Removed all underseal from floorpans, arches etc.

So all of that stuff was sacked off, I only really kept the wheels, suspension and brakes

Last edited by L14MNP; 08-02-10 at 11:26 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, on to the more present stuff.

I attempted to put the bonnet back to standard as it was a brand new OEM part. I removed the plates welded in to flush it but there was too much damage done for it to ever look right. So in the bin it went.

I have bought another ex-works carbon fibre downforce splitter, this is better than the one I originally had as it’s the later design.

The bumper is crap and ruined though so that’s for the bin.

An ex-works downforce spoiler, unfortunately from a 96-00 Mondeo, but better than nothing for now.

A mate of mine also collected a couple of brand new OEM wings for me and is going to cut them higher and flare them out.

Aero catches for boot and bonnet

Made some polycarb side windows, will get a new ex-works rear screen and (possibly) the front.

Hollowed out the doors, side impact bars etc add up to a noticeable weight, and the boot

I had previously extended and slimmed down the main engine bay – interior loom as I intended to do a wire tuck and still do. Done the same with the dash door looms (now not needed) and interior loom

Some of what came out.

I don’t seem to have pics of everything though

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some further weight saving. Rear seat supports and fixed parcel shelf removed. Seat rails, sound deadening and all other brackets binned too.

Fitted single wiper from a ZX.

New front panel with removable slam.

Apologies for the jumbled up order. I'm copying this from word and another forum. I think that's about it for the older stuff, or all I CBA with.

I will write up a fresh post now with what's been happening lately.
    Last edited by L14MNP; 08-02-10 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting project - have some rep

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be a very cool car when it's done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes hopping to see it sat on its ass
    Formally Known as Gsi_Jimbo, New name No Idea

my project / my Daily / New track slag project

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. I decided I wanted to slam the car so if it ever sees a track or a nice road then it is cabable of running low and hopefully generating some true downforce to aid the handling.

I cut out the rear inner arch (only done one side for now due to space etc)

The door shut area also needs to be cut out as can be seen in my expertly marked pics. I didn't do this at first

I then lowered the car down to see where it caught. I already had a good idea from studying some RML works car build pics.

My panhard rod on the rear beam maxed out and hit the floor as did the trailing arms, with the tyre still clear of the door area as marked above.

The height in those pics from sill to ground was 3.5". Standard is 7"

The decision was made to redesign the beam. Making it width and camber adjustable, with a slimmer adjustable panhard and trailing arms.

The standard set up

I had already cut and remove a section of the half tube and bent the beam and rewelded it for camber.

This bodge had to go .

I am making a mk1 Fiesta style setup out of one single tube cut into two that can bolt together with spacer plates, like this.

The original design of my beam, incorporates a full and half tube design, making it a tw4t to make adjustable, and the trailing arms were too big.

For the bin.

The new beam taking shape
    Last edited by L14MNP; 09-02-10 at 11:38 AM.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool,
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair play looks like you've been very busy.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original small tube has been retained for strength and will be welded to the centre plates when I cut it in half.

Cut off the strut tops and fitted the strut to the beam then bolted strut top back on and tacked in place to see how high new strut towers would be (already measure obviously )

Old tower height and new.

Door shut area cut out, so no more rubbing! There has been so many skins removed to get the arches to this stage !

Next step is to remake the strut towers and then see where the trailing arms can go.

I had a little look at the front. To see what's in store for me. Looks like fun

That's it for now. I've missed a fair amount out, such as a missing boot floor but I'm sure you get the idea. Apologies for the non Nova content - but you know I still love them!
    Last edited by L14MNP; 08-02-10 at 11:25 PM.