Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    Thats better

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Tek, good to have you back on here. Threads like this give me much needed inspiration to get my finger out and start on my GSi that has been sitting for almost 20 years now. Looking forward to updates. Also liking your rubber floor. Any good with regards to potential oil spills and other abuse?
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nova_niek View Post
    Hey Tek, good to have you back on here. Threads like this give me much needed inspiration to get my finger out and start on my GSi that has been sitting for almost 20 years now. Looking forward to updates. Also liking your rubber floor. Any good with regards to potential oil spills and other abuse?
    20 Years!? Sheesh has it been that long? Makes me feel a little better I must say You just need to find your motivation. For years I totally forgot that the Nova was sitting there because of the many priorities and responsibilities I had to deal with, but I needed to get back my hobby to be able to chill and let the mind relax. I'm sure you'll come to a point where you'll want to resume it. Obviously having some disposable income to be able to fund the project is always very helpful. And look at it this way, 20 years of not driving, less miles on the chassis and other components, less moisture and salt, less chance for rust and now they're rarer

From what I recall the rubber floor is non-porous and non-absorbent so should be fine with any small oil spills, better than it staining the fresh concrete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received a box of goodies this week

Got it off eBay, direct from Germany for £45. Just over an hour and they were ready to go

Apparently they can hold over 800kg each which is impressive, though I won't be trying that out anytime soon. Need to arrange picking up my tool cabinet and as much as the Astra can carry in engine parts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE

Nothing exciting at the moment (for those reading) - Had the opportunity to go collect bits and pieces from my parents place yesterday. I already had about 35% of the LET, so it was a matter of collecting the rest and picking up the engine stand and tool cabinet. Good old Astra dealt with the load with relative ease with the seats folded down.

Got home and unloaded the Astra and started organising all the bits. Shelving ended up pretty much rammed full of engine parts and chemicals!

Got the block on the engine stand ready for some overdue work.

Will be going through parts to see exactly what I've got making sure there's nothing missing, and anything which isn't needed put it up for sale to help fund new bits

Need to check out the turbo and see what state it is. Also want to check the ECUs to see if there are any issues with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let the real work begin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    Let the real work begin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Found a couple hours to start going through stuff, and then realised that a couple hours in the garage passes by in 30 mins.

I came across a few things that I need to double check as it's been way too long to remember vital details, so I was hoping I could get some input from the big brains on here.

First up were the XE cams, part number shows as 90322027 - this one is the shorter inlet one

And the other longer exhaust one has 2091358 072 stamped on it and nothing else.

Searching the web yields some varying results for the first (inlet) cam but the 2nd one (exhaust) seems to always result in an XE item. Unfortunately ecat no longer exists and that would've given a definitive answer, whereas 7zap catalogue doesn't narrow down the part number. Can anyone confirm if the top cam is an XE cam?

I have another pair of cams which were fitted to the LET as it arrived - 90423011 & 90423010 These part numbers come up as LET cams

Next up was the drive shafts. Originally I bought the first pairs which were 22 spline but it turned out to be 22 spline on both ends, which if I recall correctly are for the Corsa B. I then bought a pair off a fellow PNG user. Having counted the splines it's 28 splines on both sides. The shafts fit the inner CV's I bought which in turn fit the F20 box, but I'm wondering which CVs I'd need for outers? Also, anyone know what the 22 spines Corsa shafts are used for? e.g. big block Corsa B conversion or Corsa GSi etc? Need to get them sold

Finally, I cracked open the ECUs (I have 2 of them) to see what's what as I hadn't done any investigating on what I bought when I first got them.

This one was the ECU which looked like it was previously opened

As you can see I found a pair of Superchips installed. I've since read many varying reviews of Superchips and most tend to lean towards negative than positive. Not sure how useful these will be in my build. I have set myself a target of 300bhp for my build, but based on reviews I doubt these chips will be useful. Can't really get much info on these based on the numbers on the chip. Any ideas? Again, if they're of no use, I'll put them up for sale.

The other ECU was untouched

Planning to do some more work over the weekend if things go to plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've of absolutely no help with your questions but good to see another bit of progress, no matter how small.