Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What polish to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What polish to use?

I'm off work this weekend and want to attempt to give my car a good polish this weekend,

So to start off I'm going to wash it using the two bucket method with a wash mitt etc, once I've done that and dried the car off it's needs a good clay bar on the whole car as it's acquired some overspray!

Then onto the polishing side of things,I've been reading up on it and I'm getting really confused.

From what I can gather the best products to use would be,

autoglym super resin polish because the car only has light scratches on it and I've read that after 2 or 3 applications of this the scratches should be gone.

Then for the final coat I was going to use Extra gloss protection to give the paintwork a good shine/protective layer.

All products bought from autoglym!

Anyone else recommend different products to use to do a similar process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The super resin polish is a good polish and gives the car a nice smooth finish.

Although I don't rate the extra gloss protection because i felt it takes away the nice smooth/gloss finish the polish creates, I didn't know if it still protected the car but i never used it again.

My friend highly recommends that Gold Class polish, but i've never used it.

Now i had a white car and i used that T-Cut colour fast and i felt that it brought out the white.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I registered on detailing world, have a look on there, its pic whoring heaven!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andy_017
    I'm off work this weekend and want to attempt to give my car a good polish this weekend,

So to start off I'm going to wash it using the two bucket method with a wash mitt etc, once I've done that and dried the car off it's needs a good clay bar on the whole car as it's acquired some overspray!

Then onto the polishing side of things,I've been reading up on it and I'm getting really confused.

From what I can gather the best products to use would be,

autoglym super resin polish because the car only has light scratches on it and I've read that after 2 or 3 applications of this the scratches should be gone.

Then for the final coat I was going to use Extra gloss protection to give the paintwork a good shine/protective layer.

All products bought from autoglym!

Anyone else recommend different products to use to do a similar process?
    super resin polish is a good paint restorer it shows the paint up very well as it has fillers in it! so go with the wash,clay/wash/super resin polish,,top'd up with collinite 476's.

apply the super resing sparingly it dosnt need to be put on heavy,as does the wax!

if you are looking to remove scratches by hand and alot of effort,id buy meguiars scratch x,as said super resin does have filling properties but not all that great.

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for that dude,I'll buy some of that collinite 476 and give that a whirl I think mate

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the weather stays dry tomorrow I'll do a wee write up on how I clean my car

I don't use the fancy 2 bucket method or anything just plain and simple cleaning

Carplan Triplewax Car Shampoo
    Dry the car
    Autoglym Super Resin Polish
    AG Extra Gloss Protection
    Meguiars Carnuba Wax
    ^^ All on the paintwork alone

Wheels get washed with another sponge and Turtlewax Wheelcleaner then the Triplewax Shampoo then there SRP'd and Waxed

Bumpers are cleaned with the Triplewax Shampoo then some AG Bumper Care

Doesn't sound like much and not very professional but the results are very very good and cheaply achieved

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vaughanmc that is near on exactly what my mate uses and he is always getting awards for show & shine on his old car.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My car is by no means a show car but that's the way I go about cleaning it

Get a nice shiney even surface with the polish/sealant and bung as much wax on it as possible

Billing this year (2 day event) car got 4 coats of wax!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andy_017
    Cheers for that dude,I'll buy some of that collinite 476 and give that a whirl I think mate
    no problem mate,if you wish apply 2coats,it is very durable wax!

when you sprinkle water on the car you will notice the water sit's on the car in a weird(not any protection)when your finished with the collinite it will bead on the car nicely,once buffing the first coat of wax off,leave 1 hour for it to cure and apply another coat,it is time consuming but very well worth it