Thread: Track + road use build story

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Track + road use build story

been on the png scene nearly a year now and been into my novas about 3 years and fancy a lil something to work on a chat about so and have come to make a project/build to track and drive on sunny days

the nova itself was xe powered when i bought it a couple weeks ago but not strenghtened in any way and not really to my spec, sooooo... work begins

started life as this (some may have seen already?)

anyway... booked a few days off work this week to really get my head down and stuck in.
    my boss has kindly lent me a bay equipped with a 2 poster ramp, airline and 3phase and single phase power supplies so this should make life alot easier

MONDAY:
    opened up the bay and got my 1st package and cleaned they bay out (nothin worse than workin in sh*t)

lookin tidy...er. so 10mins work and trying to read dodgy instructions finished building my engine stand

drained water outside and disconnected battery and got the car in the bay ready to strip. while having a good ol goose round the car and engine came across this:

tucked inbetween the alternator bracket and inlet manifold... is this some sort of temp sensor? or just a plug blanking cap?
    moving on i got the car in the air to have a good look around and the shell is in very good condition, so far havnt found any rust.
    bumper off and de-plumbed the engine, draining the water and shafts out draining the gearbox. when i dropped the engine oil i found this in the container:

niiiiiiiiiice. did have a sparkle to it aswell so might have some worn parts in there somewhere (striiiiiiip dooooown time)

the car was yellow at some point and had a bare shell respray, cheaply done, but the paint was covering rust bubbles =/
    got my head down and working on getting the engine out ready to fit my stand.
    carefully lifted the car above the engine thinkin i was all pro untill, piiing (oh noes) haha

left one wire attached... ONE. i was gutted and my boss didnt let me hear the end of it haha

moving on:

sitting on a tyre ready for action. while the engine was out and car in the air, i used this time to have another browse around the old girl checking the usual spots and looks good.

will be stripping the underside back ready to weld her up, seam seal, then red oxide primer and a final shultzing all underneath.

when i took the headlights out earlier on in the day, i noticed some crash damage :'(

im still unsure on this yet... what are your views? thinking along the lines of putting a replacment piece in there (all the headlight housing etc...)

the rest of the shell looks perfect so im determined to rectify it.

all of the exhaust is now off and all pipes out of the bay along with the absolute FAIL of a rad

havnt yet started cleaning parts as im going to do that when its going back together.

and this is what i accoplished on monday
    what do you think?

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see youve made a thread mate, keep us updated.

The car still looks awesome !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the sensor is a air inlet temp sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see you've got your WIP up, shell looks a goodun to start with! What's the plans for the engine, underneath, respray??

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh right where is it supposed to go?

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on the inlet to airflow meter pipe

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iainel
    Good to see you've got your WIP up, shell looks a goodun to start with! What's the plans for the engine, underneath, respray??
    underneath is going to be stripped with this funky pin gun that ive got that strips back paint and underseal really well (apparently)
    ive started on the engine today and its down to bare block and got pics and everything to post up in a few mins after some food .
    then going to prep the shell myself for the 2l and sort the chassis leg out properly instead of it being bashed in as it looks nasty as it is.
    then off to 'creative coachworks' in wem for another bare shell spray and get a 6 point cage instead of the 4 point thats in it.
    will post up in a bit what ive done today... im really enjoying it

cheers for help let_nova ill get it sorted when the engines back in.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to pop in on my way back north one Friday afternoon. I go up the A41, so could pop in for a late lunch.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logical Improvement
    I'll have to pop in on my way back north one Friday afternoon. I go up the A41, so could pop in for a late lunch.
    yes mate thats fine as long as its during workin hours thats when i open the bay up.

Hull, East Yorkshire. Drives: Vectra V6 'rusty bus'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks a good one that dude, thought i recognised the first pic when it popped up, i took it

Edit, clicky me pics four, five, six and seven
    Last edited by Spudly; 24-11-09 at 09:58 PM.