Thread: 985cc Turbocharged Nova Sprint Car

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boffer8 View Post
    As mike says, bond an alloy outlet into the carbon, will be the easiest way.

As for the zooster, can you not run a 4x1 layout instead of the 2x2 stack? that will gain you some room, i know its a BTB one so would be the best around but if your having to pack another silencer in, it might be worthwhile getting the manifold copied into a more height friendly design. In regards to the 2nd box, can you not fit it in at the front of the tunnel where a normal nova cat would be located?
    Fair points Ben, but I think if I was going to the trouble of having a whole new manifold and system done (maybe even in titanium one day) then I might be better off doing it with a dry sump system installed, which would let everything work better.
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice to see updates Coiln, so do you reckon you'll get to abuse your Nova this year and if so where at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    Nice to see updates Coiln, so do you reckon you'll get to abuse your Nova this year and if so where at?
    Hi. Yes, I plan to be out this year, but the issues with the exhaust and the gear change are holding me up. Pretty much everything else is done.

My aim was to give it a shakedown at Santa Pod and then do a Hillclimb at Gurston Down at the end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Vectra C in the local breakers yard kindly donated its cable gearchange set-up, which I attached to a spare F10 'box to try out;

It seems to work rather nicely, so I shall now start trial fitting it in my Nova. There's a lot of stuff around my gearbox turret which may need relocating, water pipes, header tank, oil recirculation tank are all contesting the limited space in that area.

This is the old gear linkage I removed;

When I look at that I can't help thinking it's no surprise that the change quality is poor, the route it has to follow with straight rods is so convoluted and indirect. Plus it has to go through a bulkhead tube with a nylon bush at each end. The potential for wear and misalignment must be huge.

I'm hoping that cables are the way to go.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultimately the weak point is the 4 mount points on the lever housing itself; you wanna fill that with as much tigerseal / solid bush it as possible. IMO you want it further back than I have it here, but the handbrake then must be relocated. The vauxhall cables are long & the route will determine how good / if at all it works; I went bottom right under the rack next to the clutch pedal to allow them to come up over a greater distance.

If you want f off & die precision (not that it really needs it) you can go RJ if you do the work, this then however puts a greater strain on the shifter mount points (weak link becomes weaker...)

I'd recommend a mod of the gate to ease 3rd into 2nd & just getting into 1st generally else you'll fuss with how precise you have to be ~ you can do it to 5th also with no ill effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank-you Broadghost, very useful photos and information.

No handbrake at at all in my car, so nothing to worry me there.

Is is that a Vectra gear lever housing you're using? I've been told that the Astra H one has a shorter throw. Maybe other models are the same.

Have you done done anything to modify the throw on yours? I have an Astra H road car and the throw between each gear shift seems a long way.

Your gearbox turret is different to mine, what car did that come from?
    Last edited by novarally; 17-06-17 at 06:13 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd focus mainly then on optimising shifter location in the car meaning the cables have a good route.

Yes; I have also shortened the gear lever above the pivot point (maybe 25MM) and below (about 8MM); makes it short as you'd expect. ~ Below pivot shortening only effects up down motion not side to side.

You are right in spotting the other design of turret, but I have removed counterweights & reworked it so cables bolt up. I have had the plastic end pop off shifting hard (didn't ever want this again!) It's from a 2002 Vectra as I'm aware. TBH most important thing is all moving parts are oiled to F. Turret is internally sprung to return as is the shifter, I've just taken the spring off my shifter as it felt too strong returning & hindered 3rd into 2nd.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice set up BRG.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have a tubular exhaust manifold for the 16v small block which isn't made by BTB or Tony Law?

if they do I'd be interested in borrowing/seeing photos of it installed in terms of sump clearance.

Thanks.

I'm still working on the cable gear change conversion, that is also being complicated by the fact that my engine has been lowered in the bay.