Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 3267

Thread: 985cc Turbocharged Nova Sprint Car

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've not had much time to work on the car, but I did start on a few things today. I'm fitting the polycarbonate windows into the carbon fibre doors, and sorting the rear screen as well.

For ages I've wanted to replace this monstrosity;

With this which I've had sitting on the shelf for years;

Turned out to be a far bigger job than it should have been as the bolt going through the bush had seized solid. It's not easy cutting through a titanium bolt which I'd used to secure it!

But job now done and it looks a whole lot better, as well as saving more weight;

I've got a few other unexpected things to tackle, I found that the pipe from the sump which circulates oil through the breather system was going into fresh air. Unfortunately there aren't enough outlets on the breather tank so I'm going to have to find a way to add another one. The tank is carbon fibre so it isn't as straightforward as it would be if it was metal.

The other rather fundamental problem is the exhaust is way too loud. For some reason the guy who crafted a lovely new exhaust for it decided to only put one silencer box in, and it really is offensively loud. I'm going to have to add another silencer and the only place I can fit one is behind the rear axle. It looks like there will be enough room but it's a delay I could do without.

I've also discovered that because my engine is lowered (and of course the suspension sits low), the BTB exhaust manifold is perilously close to the ground;

There's no obvious solution to that one I can think of (bigger wheels and higher suspension are not options).
    Last edited by novarally; 29-05-17 at 08:33 PM.
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the stabiliser bar Colin,what is it from ? That exhaust looks like it could be a problem ,mine isn't as low as that but I have worn the wrap from the underside of it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toymex View Post
    I like the stabiliser bar Colin,what is it from ? That exhaust looks like it could be a problem ,mine isn't as low as that but I have worn the wrap from the underside of it
    It's a KAD engine brace for a Mini (proper Mini). Very nicely made, like all the KAD stuff.

Short of finding a manifold that sits tighter to the sump i don't know what to do about that.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just looked at my manifold all 4 pipes are parallel as they go under the sump so could offer a bit more ground clearance ,just one problem I don't know who makes it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breather tank's an easy fix. Bond an ally take off into it. Jobbed.

Ive done it a few times on re-jigged hypercar/f1/indy tanks & intakes etc over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just taken my car down from static noise test 97dB to 82dB just by repacking the back box with Acoustafil. Might be worth investigating if yours needs repacking.

New engine brace looks very light, I think it would look better with the misalignment spacers the proper way round even if you don't need any misalignment. Or better still, the allen head on the RJ side on the gearbox and do away with the spacer.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you not go over the top of the gearbox with the exhaust?

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As mike says, bond an alloy outlet into the carbon, will be the easiest way.

As for the zooster, can you not run a 4x1 layout instead of the 2x2 stack? that will gain you some room, i know its a BTB one so would be the best around but if your having to pack another silencer in, it might be worthwhile getting the manifold copied into a more height friendly design. In regards to the 2nd box, can you not fit it in at the front of the tunnel where a normal nova cat would be located?
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by t45_ste View Post
    Could you not go over the top of the gearbox with the exhaust?
    I did think about that but it's a lot of extra work, and I'm not even sure if the regulations allow the exhaust to be routed inside the car (even if it's then boxed in).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    New engine brace looks very light, I think it would look better with the misalignment spacers the proper way round even if you don't need any misalignment. Or better still, the allen head on the RJ side on the gearbox and do away with the spacer.
    Good ideas, I've done exactly that now.