Thread: 985cc Turbocharged Nova Sprint Car

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lee303 View Post
    liking the new tube front end colin, are you planning to keep the rad angled? thats my plan for this winter but with the rad angle forwards with sealed in airflow entry and exiting out the bonnet via some vents like most current GT cars
    i think the plan for no ARB will yield interesting results, personally i think you'll need one, or to stiffen the beam in a different way may be a lighter solution
    Yes, the radiator will be angled (and possibly the intercooler as well - not discussed this yet).
    We will duct in the front end so all the air is forced through the radiator/intercooler.

Not sure yet if the radiator will be better tilted forwards or backwards, we can't decide on this until the engine goes back in and we see what room there is to work with.

The camshaft is being sent off to Cat Cams tomorrow for them to come up with a revised design.

And plans for an alternator have now been shelved in favour of a larger battery.
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braille Batterys are your friend Colin

http://www.lindenbatteries.co.uk/braille-batteries/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Braille Batterys are your friend Colin

http://www.lindenbatteries.co.uk/braille-batteries/
    Thanks Mike. I was intending to avoid the small lithium-type batteries, as I've had nothing but problems with them before. I was even tempted to fit a small lead acid conventional battery under the bonnet.

RACING BATTERIES ended up giving me a full refund on the one I got from them, after replacing it twice and it still wasn't satisfactory.

VAMOS BATTERIES are now being taken to Court by me after I bought two of their batteries, and they were utterly incapable of what they claimed. Under no circumstances should anyone deal with VAMOS, they are quite simply crooks.

I always thought BRAILLE batteries were mega-expensive, but the prices on that website link aren't too bad.

Have you had any personal experience of them?

Because I'm not running an alternator it seems to be a real problem to find something that will keep the car running reliably, without having to keep swapping batteries or charging up whilst at a race meeting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by novarally View Post
    I always thought BRAILLE batteries were mega-expensive, but the prices on that website link aren't too bad.

Have you had any personal experience of them?
    Personally I havent unfortunatly :/ But at a guess if HSV are willing to retail/market there product I wouldnt of though they'd be rubbish. For your application (minial circuitry/lightweight/high CCA) they might be of use but thats something you'd have to work out I suppose.

I never heard any bad reports about there gear mind, but there not very well known here in the UK.

Stupid qeustion, but have you tried a good old Varley item at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Stupid qeustion, but have you tried a good old Varley item at all?
    Before my unsuccessful experiments with lithium batteries, I used a Varley Red Top 20 (around 5kg), and had no problems.

For a 2-day event I would swap over to a freshly charged one.

I've got a couple of these Varleys, but they are getting rather elderly now and not working nearly so well.

For the moment I may run a lead acid just because they are cheap and powerful, and look at changing to a Braille when (if!) I have more funds available.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by novarally View Post
    For the moment I may run a lead acid just because they are cheap and powerful, and look at changing to a Braille when (if!) I have more funds available.....
    Sounds like a financially viable plan that mate.

Interesting factiod, I know the guys that make the carbon mirrors your selling on eBay

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see its still progressing nicely.

From a non aero perspective the rad and intercooler would work better if sat separate to one another, intercooler under the rad for example with the air ducted onto them.

Do you monitor IAT's as I imagine with sprints you must suffer from heat soak a little from sitting stationary at the start line.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like so :

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonlem View Post
    Good to see its still progressing nicely.

From a non aero perspective the rad and intercooler would work better if sat separate to one another, intercooler under the rad for example with the air ducted onto them.

Do you monitor IAT's as I imagine with sprints you must suffer from heat soak a little from sitting stationary at the start line.
    Good photo of how I would see mine ending up, thanks.

I've never monitored IAT's, but it's possibly something I need to do. I've only occasionally used my intercooler spray system, and I'm sure it's an area where things could be improved.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the way Lee303 has started to implement proper heat transfer / negative lift in / from his engine bay. I'm sure it could benefit a forced induction setup as much if not more so than something n/a.

Don't really want to go over old ground too often in the same thread, but understand that if an alternator could be regulated you wouldn't even need a battery. Modern formula 1 cars have the smallest Lithium batteries for just that. Running a total loss electric isn't the way forward, with the only possible advantage being a few kilos saved.