0 Thread(s)

i think colin knows what he needs.. its called traction

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the sake of correct spring rates that ARB is just dead weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people who don't like anti roll bars really annoy me.

making a car over stiff & not having an arb has caused thousands of accidents, both on the road & on the track.. the only place i'd say an arb is not needed is on british forest stage rallying, where massive wheel travel is needed.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    people who don't like anti roll bars really annoy me.

making a car over stiff & not having an arb has caused thousands of accidents, both on the road & on the track.. the only place i'd say an arb is not needed is on british forest stage rallying, where massive wheel travel is needed.

what he said!

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed to get most of today working on the car out in the sunshine, which was nice.....

Installed the Anderson plug, for which I'll need to cut a hole in the front wing to access;

And got the wiring re-installed;

I've only got one wire left over (!), and I have absolutely no recollection of what it was for, and no obvious signs of where it needs to be attached to! I shall have to go over all of my old photos of the car over the years and see if I can spot it. It's got to go in the engine bay somewhere, I know that.

After that I've been fiddling around mounting the seat, and frankly I'm completely unhappy with where it will sit based on the new seat mountings we installed. At the time they seemed right, but I didn't have the pedal box in the car when we did them, and now it's all wrong, it's too close to the pedals. So now I'm going to have to do some major re-working to get myself a comfortable driving position;

I also temporarily fitted some supplementary gauges (boost, wideband lambda and fuel pressure). The STACK dash I have is supposed to read boost pressure, but the sensor is faulty and STACK want £300 for a new one, so they can whistle;

To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi colin,

i take it your no longer putting the rad in the rear or is this still something your looking at in future ? just with the air ducts on rear windows and hole in boot or have i missed something in the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calibra-keith View Post
    Hi colin,

i take it your no longer putting the rad in the rear or is this still something your looking at in future ? just with the air ducts on rear windows and hole in boot or have i missed something in the thread.
    At various times I've considered a rear radiator, but for the moment that plan is on the backburner.

But when I ordered the windows I had the ducts in them, just in case...........and they look good anyway.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting there Colin

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah those pedals are far forwards; is there no way of making another foot plate, shortening the throttle to o.e throttle linkage, moving it back and across more? Looks like you've got a similar situation to me with the cage restricting the seat going back any further without lowering it more.

I've no idea how not using an arb would make you dislike someone, because what you're saying there is without exception, the car would be overly stiff and cause (or be more likely to cause) an accident. Never heard such nonsense.

There's a million ways to improve traction if that's what's making you QQ, but the truth of the matter is you will never know if the same driver in that exact same situation would have crashed with the arb off or on. If they recently took the arb[s] off and said it doesn't feel the same, then they'd be right. Who knows who can push & survive without, but more to the point who cares. Not my fault if someone makes a fundamental change to setup then crashes. Maybe they pushed to hard because the extra tip gave them more turn in and they then thought you can still throw the thing in as sharply as before and make it at an even higher speed.

Setup is about personal preference and frankly if you're not prepared to learn changes in characteristics when modifying then just go buy a Kia Picanto & live in bliss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    Yeah those pedals are far forwards; is there no way of making another foot plate, shortening the throttle to o.e throttle linkage, moving it back and across more? Looks like you've got a similar situation to me with the cage restricting the seat going back any further without lowering it more.
    I could get the pedal box maybe an inch further toward the bulkhead, but then the master cylinders would be touching the bulkhead. And I'm already using the 'short' AP cylinders.

The roll cage behind the seat is in the way of the seat going as far back as I would like, yes.

The ultimate answer may be to get hold of a pedal box where the master cylinders are in front of the pedals, something like this;

http://www.djm-motorsport.co.uk/Products_Chassis.html

Today I've made up some inner wheel arch liners, chopped up from some (free!) Mini Miglia carbon fibre wheel arches;

I will be using more of these carbon arches to make some for the rear as well.