Thread: 985cc Turbocharged Nova Sprint Car

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toymex View Post
    I have got to be honest what I am having made are not light but will be stiff enough to not deflect with the slicks and high corner loads ,piston diameter will be increased to enable this
    I came to the same conclusion, there's no weight to be saved on a Macpherson strut, the loadings are massive. What sort of piston size are you going to - 41mm?
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think it will be 40 plus ,depends who I go with tbh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully solved the problem of the air filter, with a bit of modification to the bulkhead area and a Reverie carbon fibre airbox, which will be bonded to the trumpets, rather than attaching direct to the throttle bodies;

I need to sort out an air intake hose to the front bumper, as well as a remote air filter.

Original NickJ wiper motor now ditched (and for sale soon);

I think I'm going to locate the lightest possible rear wiper motor from some other car, and mount it THROUGH the windscreen (i.e. inside the car). As the screen is polycarbonate that should work. Most of the modern rear wiper motors seem to pass through the glass of the rear screen.

PNG OS Survivor Club Member scott.parker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome inlet! I always fancied something like that on my old one, just couldn't justify the price tag

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the Airbox Colin ,it's a bit better sized than the one I have ,bit out of my budget though ��

Club Member Club Member C612DNM's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the clearance from the radius on the trumpets to the back wall of the airbox? I recall studying one of Dave Vizards publications that showed the effect of not having enough space around the trumpets and what it did to your airflow/power delivery. I don't think it's been published on the internet, so I can't offer a link to it (yet). Looks good though. And as for the windscreen, yes - drill carefully, go up in small increments. I fitted one to my ASCAR (V8 American Stock Car) that I used to race at Rockingham on the oval back some time in history.... The screen on that is made with coated Makrolon (the stuff they use on ships wheelhouse windows - so is tough!!), and it drills nice starting small. If you try to drill too big too quick, it'll snatch and likely crack out from the hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C612DNM View Post
    What's the clearance from the radius on the trumpets to the back wall of the airbox? I recall studying one of Dave Vizards publications that showed the effect of not having enough space around the trumpets and what it did to your airflow/power delivery. I don't think it's been published on the internet, so I can't offer a link to it (yet). Looks good though. And as for the windscreen, yes - drill carefully, go up in small increments. I fitted one to my ASCAR (V8 American Stock Car) that I used to race at Rockingham on the oval back some time in history.... The screen on that is made with coated Makrolon (the stuff they use on ships wheelhouse windows - so is tough!!), and it drills nice starting small. If you try to drill too big too quick, it'll snatch and likely crack out from the hole.
    Excellent advice, thanks.

I haven't measured yet on the trumpet clearance inside the airbox, but I have a bit of flexibility to slide it up or down the trumpets.

So I would be interested to learn what would be best. I have 90mm trumpets,and a relatively shallow airbox, so I may not be able to achieve perfection and still get it under the bonnet.

Jezz - I was lucky and had this Reverie airbox on the shelf for years. It came up on ebay badly advertised, and I got it for a very nice price .

Club Member Club Member C612DNM's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a dig around, and there are a number of schools of thought. One is 1/4 the diameter of the intake - BUT that can affect wave reflection which can affect peak torque.
    Another one states that you'd need 1.5" or more, otherwise you'll lose peak power at higher revs. The basis is "as far as you can" that way you don't suffer any affects. The same applies for "behind" the bellmouth - so it's more or less in clear space.

Difficult to do in the confines of a Nova engine bay, though you've chopped out a bit of the firewall, which would have you more space for a deeper box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C612DNM View Post
    I've had a dig around, and there are a number of schools of thought. One is 1/4 the diameter of the intake - BUT that can affect wave reflection which can affect peak torque.
    Another one states that you'd need 1.5" or more, otherwise you'll lose peak power at higher revs. The basis is "as far as you can" that way you don't suffer any affects. The same applies for "behind" the bellmouth - so it's more or less in clear space.

Difficult to do in the confines of a Nova engine bay, though you've chopped out a bit of the firewall, which would have you more space for a deeper box.
    Many thanks, I've got some 3M epoxy to use for bonding in the trumpets so I will see what I can achieve.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought this car isn't allowed to be modified between the wheel centres??? surely that chopped bit of firewall breaks your rules, no? also, whats your oil catch tank (I assume that's what it is, on the bulkhead) taken from?