Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast

Thread: brucers GT/LET wip.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bruce you need the halfords wipers with the aero blade on that top that will sort it out mate

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wipers are just what mine did with the Corsa set up. Mine lifted off the screen at 90...
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nutty Nova View Post
    Bruce you need the halfords wipers with the aero blade on that top that will sort it out mate
    Silver ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Wipers are just what mine did with the Corsa set up. Mine lifted off the screen at 90...
    Think it's just easier to leave them off if any racings involved. I'll be putting them back on for PVS as it's a 'show'

If the weathers good I should be racing at santa pod on Saturday, if any bodies about or fancies a friendly race come and find me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Crikey, it's been a long time since I've updated this!

I cant remember everything that's happened since this last update, but I'll try my best.

I decided to take the advice from Rabbid and junk the forge actuator in favour for a Turbosmart item, I got this fitted prior to PVS 17 and went back down for him to work his magic again. A problem ensued with the inlet gasket blowing, meaning i was unable to race the next 2 days at PVS, bad times. Still had a good weekend browsing other peoples projects and what not.

I got to work and skimmed the inlet manifold and fitted a new gasket, I was racing at Retro Rides Gathering so i made another booking for mapping (bearing in mind its a 4 hour trip to him), something else was a miss and the car only made 320hp, turns out i had a the wrong boost control solenoid all this time! I was happy i could still use it at Shelsley walsh though. Here's a video from one of the runs, my brake pedal was almost going to the floor so i didnt fancy pushing it too much considering this was its first event doing corners!

https://youtu.be/1IV2Q4fEWeU

To round off the year i took the car to Shakespeare county raceway to see if i could improve on my PB of 13.3s @ 111mph. Which i did, i managed to eek out a 12.32s @ 121mph 60ft's were shocking, so there was still alot to come if i ever decided to go onto slicks.

That brings me onto this year with a few upgrades, the first of them was to gain some sort of speedo driven off a rear wheel so i can try get gear changes perfect when the wheels are lit. I searched for a corsa b abs rear brake drum assembly but i couldnt find one so i decided to modify what i had.

I bought a new corsa b abs brake drum (same size as nova) and a new abs ring, along with a new sensor. I got it all mocked up and made a hole in the back plate and mounted the sensor.

This was wired into a speed relay from a astra g, as i'm using a z-let ecu i have an obd plug, which meant i could use this turbogauge(rip off a scan gauge) for my new speedo. (note the new boost solenoid too)

The oil was flushed and filled with some millers nanodrive, i bought a load of spare aux belts as it likes to turn them inside out and then chuck them off.

New cambelt fitted just to be on the safe side

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking to try keep temps down in the bay now that power is being increased quite a bit so an alloy rad was fitted.

The exhuast manifold wasnt looking too pretty now, i wanted to have it ceramic coated but the cost was the deal breaker. I settled for Dei heat wrap which is great to work with compared to the cheap fibreglass stuff! A turbo blanket from Funk motorsport was fitted too.

With wanting to extract as much as i could out of the engine, i bought an exhaust in a box....

Some assembly required! All 3inch pipe over my old 2.5inch system. I got to work and did the best i could with the equipment i had, it definitely has a deeper tone to it now.

New air filter to turbo and boost pipe work.

I returned to Rabbid in hope everything was ok! It wasnt! It only made 346hp. Back to the drawing board to scratch my head, it turned out, when i gave my actuator/wastegate lever a little tweek for more clearance from the radiator, it removed some of the preload off the actuator! doh!!

I stripped the front end back down prior to finding that fault, fixed it, built it all back up and a week from my next mapping session i stupidly thought it was a good idea to buy a 20g version of the evo turbo i had. This has a bigger compressor wheel so it would give me more power!!

Last edited by brucer; 07-10-18 at 12:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it didnt! I ended up with 330hp! How does that make any sense right!?!?

Anyway, Race Wars 2 was the first event of the season and i hoped to retain my crown in class 2.

Car cleaned and loaded.

Besides having some fun, the car was giving me problems, a boost pipe was continually blowing off and when i had a couple runs where it didnt, the power was mysteriously dieing at 6400rpm in 6th gear. The best top speed i managed was 154mph this time. I also lost a caliper carrier bolt, luckily the shock bolts are fine threaded and were able to be used.

And a video....

https://youtu.be/kw9dmDx4_Bw

Whilst watching my videos back and trying to figure out my power loss, i noticed that my new turbogauge was showing my intake temps, when it got to 80degrees, that is when power died. So it turns out the ecu was doing its job and saving the engine! After some research, that bigger compressor wheel in this turbo i now have has an inherent trait of being too big for the compressor cover. Meaning it's too restrictive causing sky high air temps. My intercooler isnt exactly the biggest, but after reading that i thought it would be best to move this turbo on!

Que the new upgrade!

(left one) This is based on an evo 9 turbo over the evo 6. The evo 9 turbo as standard has a larger compressor cover as Mitsubishi new that the cover was a restriction. This is a Forced Performance (old school) Green. The compressor and turbine wheels are larger than a standard unit that should be good for 400-450hp.

PAUSE- Inbetween having the turbo and inlet manifold off my girlfriend had an accident whilst taking her CBT and she passed away. My initial plans were to sell the parts off the car and keep the shell and maybe in the future consider doing something with it, i was pushed by quite a few people to continue on as it would take my mind off it. It's been a life changing experience, having to give up my job to look after our 2 children. I'd like to say she would be happy that i'm continuing on with the nova, but i know she didnt really like it having more money spent on it than her.

She always new i was chasing the 400hp and i got cracking to get there! I cut my inlet up to make it larger in volume, the old plenum was around 2litres, the new one is estimated at 3.1litres.

Last edited by brucer; 07-10-18 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new (to me) turbo was stripped, inspected and cleaned. Reassembled with some go faster tape.

A heat shield was added around the air filter in aid if reducing any hot air being sucked in.

All ready to have another go at mapping!

Yeh you guessed it, more disapointment! It made 365hp this time with 75degree inlet temps on a the dyno. Rabbid says there should be 10-20% more power once i can get inlet temps down to 10degrees above ambient.

With PVS approaching i had some stickers made up to honour my girlfriend, i also had a photo shoot with Matt Woods for next years snap on calender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just off my phone camera.

I was invited to be on the 35th anniversary stand at PVS, i wasnt on there much as i was mainly queing for the strip.

I did manage a new PB with 12.14s @ 121mph

And the last outing this year was for the 35th anniversary at Bruntingthorpe.

Unsure what the future holds yet, so maybe some more next year.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really sorry to hear about your loss, I have to two kids also I dont know how I would cope if I lost their mum.
    The car is a credit to you and I'm sure you'll break the 400bhp barrier soon, if I was you I'd find a rolling road that over reads, it would be cheaper

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your loss defo try and keep up with it and do her proud. The car is looking awsome love it..