Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: *HOW TO* fit a Smallblock XE. (1.4/1.6 16v)

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, for a bit of a quick nova, without massive fuel costs a tigra 1.4 16v lump will drop straight in on standard mounts, connect up to standard driveshafts on the nova, all i gotta do is put in an injection fuel tank + lines, and the ECU and loom?

reason for going for the 1.4 would be insurance (at 20 a big consideration) the fuel costs (a 2.0 would kill my wallet...) and the fact that i know of a breakers where theres at least three tigras about...

plus the brakes wouldnt need a massive upgrade to cope with the power as its nothing too mad. just some drilled and grooved discs & fast road pads should do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniac_yeti
    so, for a bit of a quick nova, without massive fuel costs a tigra 1.4 16v lump will drop straight in on standard mounts, connect up to standard driveshafts on the nova, all i gotta do is put in an injection fuel tank + lines, and the ECU and loom?

reason for going for the 1.4 would be insurance (at 20 a big consideration) the fuel costs (a 2.0 would kill my wallet...) and the fact that i know of a breakers where theres at least three tigras about...

plus the brakes wouldnt need a massive upgrade to cope with the power as its nothing too mad. just some drilled and grooved discs & fast road pads should do it?
    Yep, I have/had a 1.4 16v nova, this guide is based using the info i gatherd while doing the conversion in the first place.

Still drop straight onto 1.2 and up mounts, nova shafts and depending on the model to start with just like you said.

I too picked the 1400 due to the fuel costs, tax cost and partly insurance.

As for brakes, you could just go for 236mm vented stuff (Corsas and nova GSi's), but if it was me id go for 256mm x 20mm stuff, as found on tigras and corsa GSI's, you could go for cav 2.0 items but theres only a 4mm thickness differance between that and the tigra etc stuff, not really worth it imo.

No need for any special pads or discs, personaly normal discs and GM pads are best.

Oh and if you need any help or indeed want a engine that you can trust, PM me, Mine is for sale for sure now.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by auzzy-b
    Whats an x16xel?
    x16xel with x16xe bits is better then the gsi item.
    as the x16xe/c16xe are oil users. on the xel it isnt solved, but there a bit better then the old versions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XEL is a worse version, it makes less power and has a more restrictive inlet, and milder cams.
    But a tuned xel is a good option as it has the best inlet ports of the 1600 16v engine range.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just a quick question, got my engine and ecu, all ive got to do with the immobaliser is a tiny little black chip tapped to the top? is that everything to start it, obviously it matches the ecu and engine, was there anything else? and if it dont work how can i bypass it? also my friend used a 1.4 nova mount and said he had to cut the mount to make it fit and get it re-welded? i dont fancy a cut and welded engine mount though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to cut or weld any nova mount?!!

You cant by-pass the imobliser. And the imobliser stuff should be the little black chip and also a round ring with a box bit coming off of it.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you got a picture of a the black box and the ring? might have got it with all these other parts he gave me, but dnt really know what to look for , well thats what he told me mate so i dont know il just be using a nova 1.2 mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And just for future reference
    VSS: