Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain bikers, whats your ride.....?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the honest opinions limp.

So you think I should get a newish and light frame? Are xt components still ok though? Suppose I would of gone for discs on the end because most frames use them. I would also go for newer rock shox because I'm wanting to lock them at times, most my riding will be on the roads.

Keep looking at frames and there's hundreds to chose from

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you still buy lizard skins by the way ha?

Senior User
    Sunny Sunderland by the sea. Well, inbetween there and Durham.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deore XT stuff is fine imo. As you say, you don't need the best of the best.

I assume you are a little like me, and have various hobbies, but don't want to spunk all of your money into just one of them? That's me anyway, although I recognise I need a full susp bike for the more knarly stuff. Won't get one though.

One reason is the money. Can't/Won't spend thousands on an MTB, and the other is it's a bit more of a challenge on a hard tail. The turn in is a bit too sharp, but at the end of the day, it's a XC bike, not a DH beast, and that is what I also spend the majority of my time doing.

You're right about the frames, too. I was gonna mention that most won't take V brakes.

As for the frotn fork lockout, it is definitley worthwhile, but doesn't fix the front susp rigidly. I still have maybe an 1-1.5" travel, but imo mine are damped too softly.
    My lockout is on the bars, a mates Specialized Hardrock Pro (iirc) has it on top of the fork. This is a **** location imo - plus, it fell off!

Quote Originally Posted by L33 LEG View Post
    Can you still buy lizard skins by the way ha?
    Unsure on that one.

When I see car coilovers all covered in grease and crud stuck to it, I am always reminded of them LOL.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, don't say you don't like downhill. I don't believe anyone that says this.

It's a riot!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always think of lizard skins as well with coilovers

The trouble I have is that I keep looking at xc bikes but apart from a few weeks in Spain every year I'll only be using the bike on smooth roads and will have no need for suspension and the likes. Hopefully I can build one that will still be useable on the roads, I really am not into downhill biking !

I've just seen an identiti frame for sale which is the exact one that I wanted years ago but I don't think it'll be good enough for a mountain bike for the roads tbh. I think I should look at treks and specialized for that.

As for the shocks, I've been on bikes with the lock on the shock and on the bars and I do prefer them on the bar. When I come to buying the shocks I'll see what's available, remembering from a few years ago I think the sids where the ones I wanted.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For road use, I guess you will be wanting to run semi-slick or even full road tyres then? I leave the chunky mud tyres on mine. Some Shwalbe things that have been on since new. The rolling resistance can be a PITA after 20-30 miles, but I would rather that, than compromise an MTB when wanting to have fun.

My mate with the Hardrock just goes for it, even with his semi-slicks on. I am not sure how.

Sounds like you don't want to get dirty, Lee. Follow your heart and get a nice pointy helmet and some Lycra shorts!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really should get a proper full road bike but I look like a dick without the correct gear on also road bikes are no good for when I ride on holiday. Normal tyres will be fine for me, although when I was kid I did fit skinnier tyres to my bike and I loved them.

I'm really tempted by that identiti frame though, it's pretty much identical to my old frame (dbr) and that suited me perfectly. Suppose if I ever do fancy downhill I will have a bike that can do it. All my family are into that so they're trying to persuade me as well

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really should get a proper full road bike but I look like a dick without the correct gear on
    This is more my style on my road bike. I also look like a dick, but at least not a Chris Hoy wannabe!

I'm not cool enough to rock a fixie with no brakes mind.

If I was you, I would just buy a mid-range hard tail, off the shelf. Then build up a DH bike, nothing nuts, just something capable.
    Your family are correct.

Get yourself a Kona Stinky? Old skool widdit!

I am sure the pro's will be along later with worthy advice.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's how I ride, just shirt and shorts and it really isn't the look for a road bike

The reason I'm looking at bikes is because I saw my mates kona at the weekend and offered to buy it! I know I should buy a full bike but part of the fun is building it imo. I'll keep looking and see what comes up, think a 17" frame is what I want, I'm not the tallest ha. Hopefully some experts will come on here and find me one Lol. Thanks for the advice though limp, no doubt il still make the wrong decisions and get something completely wrong for what I'll use it for.

Good luck with the Wigan result tonight by the way

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's how I ride, just shirt and shorts and it really isn't the look for a road bike

The reason I'm looking at bikes is because I saw my mates kona at the weekend and offered to buy it! I know I should buy a full bike but part of the fun is building it imo. I'll keep looking and see what comes up, think a 17" frame is what I want, I'm not the tallest ha. Hopefully some experts will come on here and find me one Lol. Thanks for the advice though limp, no doubt il still make the wrong decisions and get something completely wrong for what I'll use it for.

Good luck with the Wigan result tonight by the way
    You will always look like a dick on a road bike, just depends on what end of the scale imo! That is soon forgotten when you have some speed up though.

Seeing as we ****ed up royally Vs Villa, and before last night should have been looking to win (a point was great in the circumstances). The best result tonight is a Swansea win. No Michu though... If the worst comes to the worst and Wigan win, putting the scum in the bottom three is scant consilation if we do not win on Sunday - or at least match their result.

This is is what football is all about imo. It's all I have ever known. Never a dull moment!