Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *HOW TO* fit a digi dash into a mk2 nova

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *HOW TO* fit a digi dash into a mk2 nova

to fit a astra gte digital dashboard into a nova, you will need the following things:

astra dash unit
    loom with a decent length of wire remaining
    correct transducer for the dachboard
    wire cutters
    insulation tape
    hammer
    hacksaw

start off by removing the clock shroud by removing the 4 star drive bolts located in each corner, remove the shroud and place to one side.

remove the 3 retaining screws, 2 are located either side of the clocks, and one ontop in the center, place these screws to one side

remove the dashboard from the car, release the black wiring plug and the speedo cable from the back of the dash.

you will now need to rmeove the speedo cable from the car, this can be done by feeding the cable through the bulkhead and out into the engine bay, the speedo cable them bolts off the gearbox.

then you will now need a long piece of stiff wire, such as an old airel etc, then screw the transducer onto the gearbox and ensure that everything is secured on. you then need to connect the earth wire to an earthing point in the engine bay, then run the 2 new wires through into the inteior of the car, taped to the long piece of wire to ensure they get through easilly. then connect these 2 wires upto the dash using the diagram below:

you will now need to go back into the interior of the car, and cut the plug off the nova loom. keep this to one side as you never know when you may need it, if the clocks are broken etc.

then take the astra gte dash loom and simpley connect the wires colour to colour mainly. use this diagram to help you wire it up:

as you can see, it is fairly simple to wire the dashboard up, however, due to the fact that the astra dashboard has individual indicator lights for each side, you will have to splice these into the wires coming from the indicator stalk (black/white)(brown/white), these can be accessed by removing the cowling from around the steering colum, you simpley splice the dash wires into the stalk wires then. also if you have not got a oil temperature sensor on the engine (mainly came on GSI's/GTE's), you will need to leave all oil wires off, then simpley insulate these individually and then tuck them away out of sight, if you have no green rev counter wire, you will need to run one from the coil in the engine bay into the interior of the car and onto the loom.

then plug the digi dash in and ensure it all works, if all is working then your ready for the final stage (dont forget to test MOT necesseties, such as indicators, headlights etc etc)

then, the 2 metal L shaped brackets on either side of the clocks, you ened to nock these outwards with a hammer, only slightly but not too much, untill the clocks fit, then on the bottom of the digi clocks, there will be 2 pieces of plastic sticing out the bottom by about 3mm, like this ___!""!___, these need to be cut off and filed down otherise the dash will not fit correctly.

then you need to re-fit the dash into its hole, ensureing it all fits, and all bulbs etc work, then you need to re-fit the steering shround and the clock shround. then in theory you should be good to go

heres a quick pic of mine:

before:

hope this helps you all

after:

Last edited by Dave.; 12-02-09 at 05:16 PM.
    Nova 1.0l Project - Nova Saloon Daily Hack - Cavalier SRi Project - Nova 1.3 SR Project - Mini City Project - Digi Dash Fitting Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie at PVS08
    I mean, how did you make your car lighter? Poly-carbs, stripped out carpets, all i did was have a big poo.
    " Make Way For The Ess Ohh Vee!!! "

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im looking at doing this to my corsa but i was wondaring how do you get round the little problem of the mile counter being different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont know really.. better asking on a corsa forum for that info
    Nova 1.0l Project - Nova Saloon Daily Hack - Cavalier SRi Project - Nova 1.3 SR Project - Mini City Project - Digi Dash Fitting Guide
    I mean, how did you make your car lighter? Poly-carbs, stripped out carpets, all i did was have a big poo.

m-teqbodyrepairs.co.uk Club Member 16v Nova Kev's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is the green wire on one one of the loom plugs late xe into nova

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im interested in doing this, how much can u buy all the bits needed for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey wat or how can you get the screw at the top of the nova dash? allen key?

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IRC its a Torx bit you need and its size 25... but dont quote me on the size. just buy a small set of torx bits :D very handy

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just hooked my digi dash up this afternoon, the background lights r not workin hoppin its just the bulbs. cheers 4 the diagrams an that very helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make sure youve got no naked connections matey, as mine blew a fuse and the lights didnt work, just double check its not a fuse before you start spending immense money on bulbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have got a gte dash for my nova but my nova has no rev counter, how or were do i wire this into?
    an my speedo cable is round how or were does it go?