Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tax is the same, only changes above 1550cc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought it stated on thr disc what engine was in? or am i just talking stupid again...

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asa-James
    i thought it stated on thr disc what engine was in? or am i just talking stupid again...
    Just the tax class afaik? I'd check but I don't have one atm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tax disc only states the tax class (i.e. how much you paid).

All you need to do is update your V5 (DVLA may still ask for evidence remember); the tax will remain valid so no worries there.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once the updated V5 has been sent off do you have to wait for the new corrected one to return before you can get a valid TAX disc ?

I sent my one off about a week ago , but heard the turn around time can vary for 1-7+ weeks.

I have tried google but it doesn't really find much

Thank you

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just filled the relevent section in as i had diff colour, address and engine size

it came back but still as a 1200cc, with in a few days i got a letter saying i needed proof of fitting the engine, AA/RAC report, reciept from where i got it with documentation of engine size and fuel or finally proof from dealer

i rang my dealer explained everything, later that day i fetched a small headed letter saying engine no. blah blah blah from astra GTE reg no. petrol etcetc sent it off with my V5 and now its all legal

was free to, noquestions no probs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hc coupe
    Once the updated V5 has been sent off do you have to wait for the new corrected one to return before you can get a valid TAX disc ?

I sent my one off about a week ago , but heard the turn around time can vary for 1-7+ weeks.

I have tried google but it doesn't really find much

Thank you

Tom
    If the car currently has valid tax and you're changing across the 1549cc tax point, you'll need to update the V5 at the local office. As part of this, they will issue you a new tax disc.

If you have a reminder letter with the correct tax band on it, you can simply use this (+ insurance + MOT certs), no V5 is required.

If the vehicle is SORN, you'll need to fill out a form (V10 or V11, can't remember which it is off the top of my head) to apply for a new tax disc. You WILL need the V5 for this, I would recommend waiting for the updated one so as to avoid confusion.

You could probably do it all online though with no hassle. However, I can forsee one problem with this... say, for example, you've got 1.2 and you've put a 2.0 in. If DVLA haven't updated their records yet, you'll tax it online as a 1.2, then when the DVLA do the update your tax will be automatically cancelled (which could be the day after you do the tax online). You'll have your tax disc and think all is good, but by the time the DVLA write to you saying you need to retax your vehicle, thats a good few days you could go with no valid tax.

Does that make sense?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers,

I'll have to sit tight until it arrives then,

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Razorjack
    Right, just been to the local DVLA office. They asked for proof of the engine swap - thats twice I've swapped an engine and twice I've been asked for evidence. As said, the official procedure is for evidence to be provided, whether or not they actually follow that procedure and ask you for any is another matter.

Nope, you require one for going either way, as per detail on Directgov/motoring. As said, whether or not they ask for one is the mystery factor

Incidentally, Exeter office has some nice young ladies working in there
    They do a random check of 16 people in a 1000 of engine increase, dont ask why it thats number because i dont no

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got my V5 back today.... And it still hasn't been updated. I went off to Vauxhall and after being relieved of my lunch money I now have "conformation".

From my experience, just get the car checked out. I've now wasted well into 3 weeks because I held off doing a 1-hour job and now have to wait it all out again!

Tom