Thread: custom twin peirburg setup on a 1.4

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default custom twin peirburg setup on a 1.4

thought id post this up in the propper place, put it in muppet earlier by accident.

anyhow, im swirling around the idea to manufacture an inlet for a 1.4, to utilise two peirburg 1b's with 1.2 jets in them.
    what you guys think ? i got a feeling they may overload/flood the engine but it may work a treat ? im not savi on the whole fueling front, im just guessing that 2 x 1.2 jets should in theory be able to feed atleast a 1.8 engine so it might be too much for the 1.4 ?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first why the peirburg?second how will you mount them on to one manifold? and thrid why? if you want a carb set up why not just go for twin 40s?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why : as i have all the bits needed and it wont cost me anything, aswel as i really like the 1b's, there nice simple carbs that dont often give u grief.
    ill fabricate 2 halfs of the manifold from a 1.4 and 2 x 1.2 manifolds to house the 1b's.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And how will you get them to work togeather? throttle cable,airbox,space for two of them as there not the smallest of carbs? just sounds like a lot of work to me, but on the over hand if you want to do it and it works then it will be good to see as it has never been done befor as far as i know...
    if you have the stuff and time to do it then give it ago.. what have you got to lose?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got 2 throttle cables and 2 choke cables, worse comes to worst i could mount the extra choke cable, and linking both throttle cables at the pedal side shouldnt be too hard i wouldnt have thought, the airbox is a slight prob as u say tho.. im hoping theres gonna be just enough space to squeeze a pair of bolt on k&n's to the mix, but if not ill make a big beast thing filled with foam to feed both of em.

just the jet size im not sure about, ive got a feeling with 2 x 1.2 jets its only gonna wanna work upto half throttle, beyond that it might send the engine into spasm from flooding it ?

well its either this or get a 32/34 dtml. personally id prefer the dtml as it'll be more reliable, but i cant afford it at the mo, and as you say, as far as i know, its probably a prety unique mod that might be half decent.

edit : crap ive just thought about something, the cooling ! the 1.4 inlets coolant fed on one side.. that might be a spanner in the worx.
    Last edited by jimbob-mcgrew; 07-05-09 at 08:06 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be a pretty cool setup if you got it going right.

You will get two K&N's on. just re drill the holes so that you can have them facing opposite ways. Worst comes to worst you can make your own filters.

The inlet is bound to be a pain in the ar$sehole to fabricate? Spose if you have what you need then its only time and patience which is free!

I wouldn't worry about cables and filters, fuelling is your biggest obstacle obviously

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carnt you just play around with it, jet them with 1.2 jets to start with see how it goses then try bigger jets like 1.3/1.4 till you get what you want out of it? it will be trial and error untill you get it spot on. airbox side of things the twin k&n's shud work depending on space..

i think you need to make some drawings of how you want it to look then get some idea of how to get them to work togeather.. good luck with it if you do try it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think its a waste of materials & fuel.

i ran a 1.4 with a 1.2 carb for 90000miles, and it actually ran really well.

the work involved to make the manifolds would be quite hard, are you good at casting ally??? the rh one would prob foul the alternator, the mixture would be massively rich, and I'm not sure the power gain would be that great.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know nothing of casting ally, but i can weld and grind, altho i think your right mate, it will be alot of hassle.
    youve got me interested in a 1.2 carb now
    i fkin hate the 2e, even if its a higher-performance carb. bassically, as soon as i can its gonna get taken off.
    how did you manage to mate the 1b to the 1.4 inlet ? or did you use a modified 1.2 manifold ?
    Last edited by jimbob-mcgrew; 07-05-09 at 11:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much invented (In my opinion) the 1400 conversion, and used a 1200 carb & head on a 1300. i'm just saying it ran well. a later 1400 has different port shapes, but a bit of dremelling would make a 1.2 manifold work ok