Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E/C16SE on bike carbs/webers, for and against.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a 4month waiting list

Tom reid had a few alloy inlets for round ports head, not sure if he still has any for sale....

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, im pretty sure if you contact Bogg Bros they will make you a full r1 kit including maifold etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol had forgotten about Tom "bikecarb" Reid, will drop him a a pm.

Jay I'd prefer to diy if i do eventually do it. keep costs down

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John
    I've been running R1 bike carbs on my 1400 Nova since last June, with a 4.1 diff and CR gbox, great fun to drive, and the noise is just as good as Webbers, I hadan ast 2 cam and the drivability and reliabilty fine, made a few trips to Surrey and back with no issues, was getting 27mpg with 3 people and luggage and I didn't spare the horses!
    I use one of my own designs and have them made to order, other manifolds are available ranging from 160 - 200, last time I enquired at Boggys, I asked for 5 manifolds and what discount they'd give me, they thought I was taking the piss, so lost my business, they quoted 180 i think plus 25 post and 16 week wait.
    I use a 1400 SR dist, but am close to fitting a Megajolt unit which will see improvments over the std dizzy.
    Jets, don't buy them, just drill out your existing ones, i can give you pointers if and when your'e ready.
    Alternator bracket needs modding and the temp switch needs repositioning onto the thermostat housing, depending on manifold purchased.
    Your'e welcome to come over and try mine anytime, Iv'e just put an Autosprint 290deg low lift cam in and it works really well with the bike carbs, although not really practical for the commute/daily driver.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John H
    Lol had forgotten about Tom "bikecarb" Reid, will drop him a a pm.
    and I thought i was known for my gayness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tom reid
    John
    I've been running R1 bike carbs on my 1400 Nova since last June, with a 4.1 diff and CR gbox, great fun to drive, and the noise is just as good as Webbers, I hadan ast 2 cam and the drivability and reliabilty fine, made a few trips to Surrey and back with no issues, was getting 27mpg with 3 people and luggage and I didn't spare the horses!
    I use one of my own designs and have them made to order, other manifolds are available ranging from 160 - 200, last time I enquired at Boggys, I asked for 5 manifolds and what discount they'd give me, they thought I was taking the piss, so lost my business, they quoted 180 i think plus 25 post and 16 week wait.
    I use a 1400 SR dist, but am close to fitting a Megajolt unit which will see improvments over the std dizzy.
    Jets, don't buy them, just drill out your existing ones, i can give you pointers if and when your'e ready.
    Alternator bracket needs modding and the temp switch needs repositioning onto the thermostat housing, depending on manifold purchased.
    Your'e welcome to come over and try mine anytime, Iv'e just put an Autosprint 290deg low lift cam in and it works really well with the bike carbs, although not really practical for the commute/daily driver.
    There's the response i was after! Any pics of your manifold tom? Are they alloy? 16 weeks is taking the pee a bit i reckon! When i have a spare sat (few and far between atm!) I'll drop you a pm, wouldn't mind going for a blast and having a nose around. If i do go ahead, it'll be a daily driver, so need to keep it as reliable as poss.
    What sort of power do you think you're getting Tom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tom reid
    and I thought i was known for my gayness
    And that

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reliability won't be an issue with carbs, you know as well as I do, it's mostly down to a lack of maintenance that causes unreliability.
    Power is not known with the 290 cam, with ast 2 was 117.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look here John, plenty of pics, and video, it's a 1200, but the manifold is the same.
    http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthr...ght=pound+nova

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Highly recommended from my point of view. I used R1 carbs on my old 1400 and they were fantastic. The throttle response was always there when you needed it and didn't need a lot of setting up at all. I ran them with a Piper cam (suited for twin 40's) and vernier, rebored engine and a set of ARP bolts. The engine was pushing out 135bhp at the wheels when tested at Bogg Bros, oh and yes they take forever as I found out 4 and a half years ago. They had my car for 8 weeks so i wouldn't recommend them at all.

The only 2 problems I had were: 1 when I used to floor it after a while the tubing which was attached to the manifold and the carbs, would decide to come apart. Probably due to the silicone tubing I used not having a good seal.
    The 2nd was when I had the accelerator cable snap on me. A nightmare to find another but eventually fit one from a rover 214

I wish I had of rebuilt my old engine now instead of going down the c16xe route. Would have been a lot easier and I miss the sound of the carbs
    Last edited by Southie; 19-03-09 at 09:50 AM.