Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default wiring up speakers

hi
    i have just installed a new radio, and 2 new speakers in the parcel shelf, i have amp leeds coming out the radio goin into the boot, when i get an amp which should be shortley, how do i wire them up? i got 2 sets of leads with my speakers, one side spade connectors and one side just copper wire, will i have to soilder these to an amp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring up an amp.

Right, the leads you have coming from the head unit going into the boot are RCA cables, these are specific right and left for stereo. You also should have a remote wire, a normal 5amp wire which passes the signal from the headunit to the amp to switch it on. These should be run down the left hand side of the car. Leave the in line fuse out until ready to switch on. A dangly live power cable being fed down the right hand side of the car is going to cause sparks. The reason you run the power cable and RCA cables down different sides of the car is to avoid interference. Don't be lazy and run them all down the same side.

You will need a power source direct from the positive terminal of the battery with in line fuse going straight to the power in + terminal connector on the amp. You then have to earth the amp. Negative - terminal on the amp to the body work, try and keep this wire as short as possible and clean off paint where you fix to the bodywork. Connections to amp should be either ring or fork connectors with the correct amp rating.

Connect your speakers up using ring or fork connectors, being aware of positive and negative, plus left and right.

Be aware that badly installed sound systems can lead to car fires, so treat everything with care.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks a lot for the help shaun o'donnell thats a great help, when i will get some pics of the setup and cables i have, also in the back of the head unit where do i connect the remote wire to??