Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So toying with the brake pas box, I figured it's worth checking if my set up will really support it.

Current pedal setup:

Yoinked out:

And what I was interested in, some measurements of the brake pedal:

Now i've followed this tech advice on the Wilwood website: http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPedalTip.aspx

If my understanding is correct, 19cm between pivot and pedal and 4.5cm between pivot and connecting bar gives a pedal ratio of 4.2:1.

On the last pic, if I drill where the white dot is (approx 3.1-3.2cm) that'll give the ideal non-servo-assisted brake pedal ratio of 6:1. So assuming that'll operate the set up properly, who know; I'll have to get a bias box and see how it goes.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think (might have imagined it though ) Ben Spencer (boffer8) might have altered the pivot on his when installing a bias box, might be worth a shout?

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the the bushes apage back are 1peice.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a nova pedal box fitted in mine not the corsa one so its a little bit different to be honest due to the how the standard pedal bar works.

You could redrill it there giving the correct pedal ratio but it also means that the pedal position will change (in relation to other pedals) so you might need to be wary. Worth a go though as it wont weaken the pedal vastly drilling where you are thinking looking at your pics and it would help the feel massively as mine is like pushing a brick wall but im now used to how it is so like the feel of it.

If i was you, whist it was out re-drill it, put it back in and they you can try the standard position back to back with the new one and choose which you prefer...
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Boffer, I received some good advice regarding pedal ratios on PistonHeads actually, my basic measurements may well not be as accurate as I hoped: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+modifications

End of the day it's a hacked about Corsa set up against an OE clutch and accelerator pedal, both with their on pivot points, so I just get used to how they feel against eachother as it'll never be as good as a proper pedal box which I just don't have the room for without redesigning my steering, seating and shifter arrangement.

I think redrill and fit is the way forward yeah, hopefully have some updates over xmas when I come to fit my bias pedal box.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never heard a murmur from you when I was touching your bushes, they felt so good and you seemed to enjoy yourself. It was all a bit tight but with lots of lube and the correct toys they all slipped in eventually which left you with a huge smile and feeling of satisfaction.

You got that pedalbox in yet?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    You got that pedalbox in yet?
    He's not hardcore enough for a real man's pedal box mate!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So with the bushes fitted, I went about refitting the suspension. Rear beam slotted in lovely

Front bushes posed a problem as the original ones were only 50mm wide, which is actually 2mm too narrow:

The new bushes are the correct 52mm:

The chassis had been pinched in by doing up the old bushes, meaning the new ones were miles away from fitting (well, 2mm to be precise):

This was opened up with a large threaded rod and nuts, wound out from the inside to bring the chassis back into shape:

Easy job, new 280mm discs for the Wilwoods

Or so I thought, even those were a faff and had to take the spigot rings from the old discs...

...And press them into the new ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calipers got tarted up, purely cosmetic refurb as in full working order

Stripped

High temp red from Halfords, isn't very red, so a few layers of that

Then a coat of Vauxhall flame red, hopefully it won't burn off

Fitted

Onto some new shiny bits, I purchased a Corsa brake bias assembly from Harry Hockly

First problem to overcome, the drop on the original Corsa set up was about 10-11cm

The Hockly item was about 6cm so needed a threaded extension piece and extra rod to reach the pedal

Using Wilwood master cylinders, the push rods were far too long to actually bolt together

So both of these got cut down

All built up on the bench, with 0.625 and 0.7 cylinders for front and rear respectively

Slightly quirky sideways fitment, luckily the clevis have enough free play to operate this way (as the pedal pivots at 90 degrees to the assembly pivot)

2 new braided lines to mate up to the original braided lines