Page 366 of 410 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368376 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 4097

Thread: Iain's 20XE Trackday Nova

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wear on the outer edge means it's rolling over the outside edge of the tyre and not using the full contact patch. Do you seriously think you'd wear a tyre perfectly evenly on a track on standard suspension?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    Looking good iiiiiaiiin, will it take some setting up to get right on different tracks you race at?
    I've always avoided changes per track so I'm going to find what feels good and stick with it. I'm only a novice driver on a track day doubt I could tell the difference tweaking between tracks!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    But its a race car, tyres arnt meant to wear even. If you go for perfect wear across the board then you may aswell have stuck to standard suspension.
    He just wanted an excuse to buy it!!!

Anyway, wear on the outer edge is caused by a lack of camber and caster, meaning the tyre is riding onto the outer edge during cornering and as Iain says not applying the full contact patch to the track surface.

This would happen on standard suspension also, it would in-fact be worse on standard suspension, the only way to solve it is add camber and caster, either with eccentric top mounts or the aforementioned suspension set-up.

With the addition of either of these 2 things mechanical grip would be vastly improved, the suspension kit more so.

Does look good on yours!! I was gonna get a similar kit but you didn't want me to copy you.
    Last edited by House; 28-06-16 at 10:09 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Guy called Ben, PM me if you want his contact details. It's the same kit Jonlem was selling a while back.

I don't know what I've got to gain from uniballs in all honesty, they don't give any more adjustment and cause grief with big block outer CVs and their retention nuts.
    Thanks mate will pm you when I look at doing it. Yea that is true, surely stronger tho if your running slicks? my trackrod ends where a bit of a pain and iv seen the bottom ball joint conversions are the same to be honest.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just keep a spare set of new ball joints in the track day box, cheap, easy to change. win win

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wear on the outer edge means it's rolling over the outside edge of the tyre and not using the full contact patch. Do you seriously think you'd wear a tyre perfectly evenly on a track on standard suspension?
    i didnt say on track, having perfect tyre wear is what people desire on road cars, which means comprimising on handling and performance.

wear on the outside edge doesnt only mean its rolling over, is your track set up to toe in? all circuits are differant and are going to affect the tyres in ways you wont be able to foresee unless you use that particular circuit often. I mean look at the F1, they practice all day friday, qualify on the saturday and still can get undue tyre wear on the sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not far behind F1 in terms of my vehicle set up capabilities.

It's set up slightly toe out. It was previously 0.75 degrees camber and not much caster, now it's at 1.5 degrees. The competition build manual says to run more camber than I was, and am, doing. The Michelin slick manuals also suggest more too from what I remember.

I've been using these slicks on track for years so I'm optimistic I'm doing the right thing. And if it doesn't work out too well, I can dial it back in a bit, no biggie.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet you are glad you took the time to update the thread now Iain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not far behind F1 in terms of my vehicle set up capabilities.

It's set up slightly toe out. It was previously 0.75 degrees camber and not much caster, now it's at 1.5 degrees. The competition build manual says to run more camber than I was, and am, doing. The Michelin slick manuals also suggest more too from what I remember.

I've been using these slicks on track for years so I'm optimistic I'm doing the right thing. And if it doesn't work out too well, I can dial it back in a bit, no biggie.
    fair enough, whats your rear set up to?

when I eventually get round to sort my geo. out I may buy the tie bar set up from ben as my front caster while being slammed is uber poor.