Page 387 of 410 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 4097

Thread: Iain's 20XE Trackday Nova

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few improvements. I've ditched the electric windows and refitted the polycarbs I fitted when I first built it all those years ago. With the glass, motors and window nets I save 7kg.

I've also bought a gizmo to check my fueling on the carbs, as I am considering going to mappable ignition. AEM X-Series UEGO 4.9 wideband:

Nice bit of kit:

Handily many years ago I welded in a bung, so the lambda fitting was easy. I'd even done it properly and angled it upwards a bit:

It is only temporarily installed, the wiring comes through the bulkhead and the wiring sits on top of the dash.

The gauge is installed in a Stack roll bar pod mount which keeps it nice and secure:

I've also bought a new gearbox which I should be picking up at the end of the week - it's hybrid of F18 casing, F20 internals, Quaife 4.2 final drive and Quaife ATB diff. Just like my old one that nuked itself.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wideband looks the bees knees mate.
    Also just incase your intrested on ebay you can get alloy mount clamps ment for 4x4 spotlights ect but work mint on cages and they come with rubber shims for diffrent tubes I used them on my roof bar switch pannel about £6 from china and look spot on .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice idea with the spotlight brackets, the Stack mount is meant for 40mm tube so as you can see I've improvised with gaffa tape

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the gearbox was a bit of a mixed bag. It is a 4.2 Quaife FD, Quaife ATB, F20 cluster and a long fifth in an F18 housing. When I bought it:

The internals were known good but the build was unfortunately questionable so it ended up getting stripped and inspected, cleaned and fixed.

The F18 casing was binned as it doesn't have a clutch inspection hole. The speedo drive is blanked, but that is just a core plug that can be knocked out.

The gearset had a tight spot in one place which is very concerning.

The fifth gear was removed and replaced with a standard F20 one, which handily fixed the tight spot too. Upon removing the fifth I found the input shaft wasn't even fitted properly, missing the bolt and circlip that retains it. This was corrected.

Upon inspecting the rest of the box, it turns out the input shaft was absolutely full of metal swarf so the box would have eaten itself it used as-is anyway. And every bolt was tightened up unnecessarily tight, I'm surprised there's any threads left.

Stripped and cleaned parts ready for installation:

I went a little unorthodox, instead of building it into a new box and swapping release bearing guide, clutch arm, mounts, etc etc I simply removed the gearset from my current box:

Crownwheel was removed to set the preload on the taper bearings, so re-installed with loctite and torqued to 90nm

Rubber-seal gaskets came with the box so re-used them, I've not seen an end plate one before so that was a nice touch:

The original metal diff cover plate was heavily scored, so I made a new one using an M12x1.5 sump bolt, threaded insert and a welder:

Finished article:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whilst I was in the area I've done a few more improvements. Pro-tec solid rack mounts:

Fitted:

Custom bottom brace, apparently this really helps tighten things up by stopping flex along the chassis legs. Whilst it was made for a Nova, with my custom crossmember and tolerances it was never going to just fit.

So I hacked it up. The main difference was the bend on the drivers side was flipped - it was previously made for a smallblock but flipping it over nicely clears an XE sump as if it was designed for it.

Rear part mounted to the car, then I tacked it all together and welded it off the car.

Finished product, pretty pleased with it.

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good bud!

Where did you get the bottom brace from?
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hangar 30 who is doing heds drag car makes them. This was the one off his car I’ve butchered to fit mine but he would normally build it on your car for a perfect fit.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work mate

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top work as always

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Hangar 30 who is doing heds drag car makes them. This was the one off his car I’ve butchered to fit mine but he would normally build it on your car for a perfect fit.
    Thought it looked very similar...
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.