User
    Leamington Building V Quick & Low 17'd 8v GSiiiiiii And Driver of B@rge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy tigers!!!
    12PSi with Standard compression!!?! Brave man!
    I've had mine bored out to 1650cc and am using the metal head gasket spacer that Courtenay supply. Im just about to order two Competition head gaskets to put either side of the Spacer, ready for the DTA equipment to be added.
    At the moment Im running 10PSi with Water injection cutting in at 8PSi.
    The car runs lean off boost then rich on boost, which is a no win situtation as the only fuelling control at the moment is the Pressure regulator, which acts linear (ie. If I increase the fuel pressure it will make it rich low down as well as on boost).

The rods are standard (Can you get different ones?)
    The Pistons are Standard over size ones (1650, as mentioned earlier)

I've just took a ?2000 loan out to sort the engine good and proper! All the DTA stuff comes to about ?1500 then im having an Electronic boost controller fitted as well which is used on VeeDub Turbo Conversions as DTA don't make one suitable.

Hopefully within the next few weeks i'll have one SORTED Engine. I just can't wait to see what it is like to drive and how much power it kicks out. I think im going for about 12, 13 maybe 14PSi as I've got to keep it sensible as im using the car every day.

The Gearbox is an F13WR off a Corsa Diesel to help put the power on the road rather than up in tyre smoke. Im also using a Black diamond clutch.

I don't think im going to attempt it all before PV2003 as I really want to take the car and not have it in a garage. So if you see me there, come and have a word and i'll tell you all the plans for it.

Cheers

Neil

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a search for "Arrows Engineering" they make rods to order - they wont be very reasonably priced however..

Interesting point though, what kills standard cast rods? Is it high RPM or boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben I was told that the standard cast rods will break at 15psi. I was also told that steel ones are available for these off the shelf. In our case boost kills the rods not high rpm( :?: )
    Matty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive ran mine at 17 psi before for a couple of months running it every day and i didnt have any problems! cant do it now though coz im only running one head gasket now.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im guessing its not so much boost - but the power being produced at those boost levels that shatters the rods

ie tuning the engine naturally to the power levels of 15psi boost or using NOS to obtain those levels of power would also start chewing rods

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a N/A 16v lump and have been advised that the rods bend then crack at high rpm (greater than 8k sustained) - something along the lines of "high axial loading" which I presume means G ?!

I'm guessing also then a steel crank would be advised also?? All pricey stuff

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dav,
    Just a few questions for you.
    Why have you stopped running 17PSi?
    Why run with no spacerplate at 12PSi as its a lot safer with it? Is it just for more power?
    Do you know how much power it put out at 12 and 17PSi?
    Any other Internal work on your engine?

I have ordered all the DTA gear, its coming a week Monday as the loom is being specially made. Im uprating the fuelling system to take 200bhp (just incase I get near that dizzy height) with 16V Injectors and a better fuel pump. Speaking of which can anyone recommend a good one? I would do the same as you Dav but those cars are a bit hard to come by in the breakers yards!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi neil. ive stopped running it at 17 psi when i decided to run the car with only one gasket. The reason why i decided to do this was because i wanted to reduce lag and i could have the car just as quick running at 6 psi than at 17psi with 2 gaskets. it also meant that i didnt have to mess about with the fuelling to much because it is running lower boost. To give you an idea of how quick it is it sits with my mates brand new rs focus from stand to 150 mph on his clocks! the engine has been bored to 1650 with hepolite pistons, powerboost valve set at 3.5 bar, cossie sierra fuel pump, frontera intercooler, stainless steel boost pipes, T3 turbo and no thermostat. It all runs through an F16 gearbox from a '92 sri cavalier with a one off heavy duty clutch. Why dont you run your car on carbs with the turbo? I knew a bloke who used to run a gsi lump with a pair of 48 dellorto's with a group 'A T3 turbo off a cossie. this thing was seriously lethal. it would smoke the 17's in third in the dry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to resurrect an old post but at what rpm are people generally boosting 8 or 9 psi? Also what quarter mile times do people get with 1.6 turbos?
    Matty

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There isn't an answer for that, as Turbo's spin up at different rates depending how much work/load they're put under. In my car, if you put your foot down it can take 1...2...maybe three seconds before im at 9psi and going like a bat out of hell, it also depends what rpm you are originally doing before you floor it.

Dav posted a time of 14.7 at PV2003 in his 1.6 Turbo