Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *HOW TO* vauxhall flip key

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *HOW TO* vauxhall flip key

just made a nice flip key for the cav, something different, so i thought i'd post up a step by step for anybody else who wants a go. i'll be doing it again soon for mine as the spare key i used wasnt a good cut, plus it wasnt the neatest of jobs due to the tools i used..

so we'll start from the start, and you'll need some tools. i bought a halfords multitool(like a dremel) and didnt use it, despite the site i took inspiration from saying it was a must. instead i used a large metal file, hammer, 1.5mm drillbit, pliers and a vice. i'd recommend a set of needle files to get it looking better and you will have more control than a large file...oh, and a flip key (got mine off ebay, £10 all in)

first off, removing the old blade from the flip key. open the blade half way and you will see a small roll pin, knock it out using the drill bit and hammer (dont lose it) and remove the blade. it may take some persuasion. you should be left with this...

next you need to remove the plastic bit from your spare. i found a blowtorch works quite well, and doesnt take too much time... anyway, after a bit of cleaning and filing off the tabs on the key, you should have this...

note you "spare" blade is longer, so needs trimming down, to this..

then you need to file one side of the key flat to get the "height" right.

if you sit the original blade on your's, you should be able to get a good idea of length, and you will notice that your blade is slightly wider, but it does fit in the fob. so you need to file the edges slightly to make it slimmer. dont go too crazy, as the key will end up rattling around. once you are at this stage, you should start to trial fit the key in the fob and trimming as appropriate. once you are happy, make sure the key opens and closes nice and free in the fob, reshape if needed.

next, you need to file in the notch for the roll pin to sit. do this on the opposite side to where you flatted the key. measure against the old blade, but so long as you dont file too far back you should be alright. once the hole is cleared and the pin can be refitted (i placed it in, then used the vice to slowley press it through) your key should be ready!

this was done using a cavalier (1994) key, but i'm guessing the same principal could be applied to early vectra, corsa, nova, astra, so long as the width of the key fits within the fob

some things to look out for...
    dont file your key too short, if you do it wont fit the ignition properly, as it sits close enough as it is.
    if you mess up after reading this, please note that i take no responsibility, as common sense should prevail. :D

and to point out the "obvious" of just getting another blade cut, you could, just make sure that the narrow blade will work in your barrels (i'm guessing they are a particular size for a reason)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice guide, but wont work on any nova as the keys are large spikey ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so long as the total length and width arnt massive (i.e bigger than a cav key) you should be able to do it. people do it with golf mk2 keys into the mk4 fobs, and the blades for the mk2 are spikey rather than square. get a cav key and measure up

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nova keys are alot wider (about 4mm extra than the cav styles ones) as the 'teeth' are exposed on them.

Senior User
    Sunny Sunderland by the sea. Well, inbetween there and Durham.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get universal VAG style flip key fobs on eBay. A mate had one cut or his classic Mini (fcuk knows why TBH but each to their own) They have the wider style keys I'm almost certain.

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top guide mate, now if only I had the tools and the money to do it .

Will deffo show this to my bro and dad who both have Cav's.

Gotta rep you tho

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to this guide i made my flip key tonight.

Took me ten minutes and cost me nothing!!

Excellent guide mate. Rep on its way!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/\ /\ Thats a 1995 cavalier key BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did it come out better than mine? ihavent bothered doing a "nice" version yet. i cant afford to get another key cut...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a bit rough to be honest. The blade is a bit loose, and will come off if its pulled hard enough. Plus mine is a X20XE so has a transponder, which i will be taping to the ignition barrel, as its 'just' to far away when its in the key to get a good reading.

Work in progress!