Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Donnington Park Trackday December 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Donnington Park Trackday December 2008

well it was a very early start for me about 5am i wen tot the petrol station to fill up check levels etc

then just checked pressure in tyres

well we arrived late (yes theres always 1! well 2 in this case ) we went in to sign on! we were told to choose a group fast or slow as we we were all going to go intermidiate i figured ah they will all be in the slow group should of checked first FAIL all the novas were in the fast group aka gold group

but wasnt all bad was just there were absolute beginners in mine and wills group and was a bit of a pain sometimes! but it meant i could watch the novas in the other group coming doen the pit straight, first things first massive respect for the balls out maxcimum attack ollys gives his car was awesome to watch it skating round the pit straight scrabbling for grip,

skidmarks nova was impressive as was oli d's, olly's and nathans the tigra jonlems and gav's beast made me laugh as soon as i saw it when we were unloading wills car opf thr tailer it rolled past with a MASSIVE WOOLWORTHS sticker on it fell about pmsl :D

first session was ok was very wet and slippery redgate wass interesting the first time i went into it expecting there to be more grip craners was the best part for me 'old heirpin' was very slippery all day just meant side ways action my the car alweasy pulled its self straight, first sesion did a 3-5 laps and then came in checked car over gear change did feel a bit funny nothing obvious so i thought 'itll be rite' 3 laps in to the second secont my cav internal shifter snapped so got towed in and i was ready to call it a day!

olly h came over and said well find a welder ididnt fancy my chances of inding a welder on a track day after we asked a few people we spotted an arc weled in the corner of one garage olly ran over and asked the guys if we could use it and the next ting i was running up to the garage with a welder will f's face and my brothers face were both a pciture

where the fcuk did you find a welder?

10 mins later linakge is welding up and refitted and i magend to catch the last 3 laps of my session

nova pushed in to garage whilst olly and myself run round trying to find a welder

Last edited by corsakid; 14-12-08 at 09:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in progress

10 mins later 'we be rolling'

and some videos

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...=donnylap1.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...onnylap2-1.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...=donnylap3.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Picture004.flv

its the first time i have driven the nova with the cav internal shifter the new front springs and the new 450lb rear springs first session the shocks were set 1/2 way betwwen soft and hard bu ti was gettign a fari bit of understeer so i soften the shocks right of to softest settings and wow what a difference it was like a different car flet so planted and sure round craners was able in my finaly sesion to do craners flat out in 4th no backing off the braking and going side ways through the 'old hairpin' was awesome BIG SHOUT OUT TO TRACKDAYNOVA for the advise of the rear spring poundage etc

the car did develop a slight oil leak from what looks likely to be the sump gasket but its not to bad,

and one final picture of my nova after a long 2 30 hr drive up there 30 or so laps on track a welded up gear selector and a about half a ton of mud from the debris on craners by the looks off things form gav jonlem and rexy its ready to travel back :D

Last edited by corsakid; 14-12-08 at 09:51 PM.

Codnor, derbyshire. Drives:Nova Xe track car
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good right up mate.
    Never got chance to say hello.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bless you Kris, such kind words, thanks very much

glad my suspension recommendations paid dividends after a bit of track time

ace pics - i never took my camera so it's good to see yours

glad I could of been help regarding the welder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it all seemed really manic today so much todo so little tiem didnt help that we turned up late next time!

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my combo deserves a mention too - a comfortable 70 mph all the way there and back, with only 0.2 litrers of gerabox oil and half a clutch!

XE Combos are the best way to tow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah apart from trying to go up a gravel slope that was interesting

Small Block Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Donington Park trackday.

First off I'm so glad I came! It was an awesome day, mainly due to the people that were there, was great to meet you all!
    The trip started on saturday for me, I had to drive my car up from my term-time address in Southampton, to my parent's house in the Midlands. The journey was going to be an unpleasant 2hrs at the best of times but turned into 3hrs+ due to flooding and tailbacks on the M40
    I was fortunate enough to have a piggy back to the circuit on my mates ghetto transit recovery truck on Sunday, so after a 5.30am start i arrived snug and warm First job was to unload the nova into a garage, where Olly (Trackdaynova) and Stuart (SMCGSI16V) had already set-up camp.

Olly had brought along his airbox, which was fitted to my car for the day (Cheers dude!). This kept me under the noise limit, until later in the day! The first session was a complete joke for me, the track was very greasy and I was running in R888's, i also didn't realise until after the session that I was running my dampers on hard It was like ice skating and barely a lap went by without some form of slide. I couldn't keep up with Adam or Stuart, so no chance with Olly

I softened the dampers off for the rest of the day and things improved a lot. The weather stayed cold and dry, so by the afternoon a dry line was appearing. Unfortunately with the dry line comes the oppurtunity to use more revs/throttle. This led to me being black flagged for noise on two occasions and having to leave the track The second time I had been warned to keep the revs down, but when a chance for a tussle with Olly arose, the red mist came down and I was instantly flagged

Olly was definately a little teensy weensy bit faster on the day, but its certainly not over yet

Here's my first ever in-car and youtube vid!
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eJYhUNFZT94

Highlights of the day for me were
    1. The synchronised spinning of Rexy and Jon/Gav in my rearview mirror down through Craner curves
    2. The manic multiple spins (4+) of Jon/Gav at the bottom of Craner curves, it was hilarious to watch!
    Last edited by dhdev (Oli); 15-12-08 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great footage

Think Mr H's next investment should be 4wd to help with traction on the gravel

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a battle that was, fantastic day! good write up mate

I will host the last session vid of mine first too, simply because of our battle, loving my sideways on power coming out of the Esses, and my detour on Redgate

Wicked vid Oli, the first of many many more I hope