Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 1996

Thread: The Counts Track Day Nova Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999
    I figured it would deliver more flow (and earlier too, which is the reason for doing it, to reduce any turbo lag?) but at a lower max pressure? I.E if you closed the wastegate on the vxr turbo and let it just go up to whatever pressure it could manage, it would be higher than your hybrid, as you're turning a larger wheel compressor wheel with the standard size turbine wheel on the hybrid, effectively giving the pressure side of the turbo more leverage to slow the turbine down? Unless i'm overthinking it and it just delivers more air meaning more maximum pressure within the limits of the engine.
    Ok i understand your train of though here, firstly it will deliver more flow for x amount of boost pressure but i think your over thinking. I would have thought the turbo would simply fail before it reached any sort of maximum possible pressure. As you said more air meaning more maximum pressure within the limits of the engine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a bigger wheel,so will take longer to spin up to speed=lag?
    It will just flow more for the same amount of boost

But yeah, probably hardly noticeable but im no turbo expert.....

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Count Vaux Alot
    Ok i understand your train of though here, firstly it will deliver more flow for x amount of boost pressure but i think your over thinking. I would have thought the turbo would simply fail before it reached any sort of maximum possible pressure. As you said more air meaning more maximum pressure within the limits of the engine
    Cool, I wasn't sure whether turbo's often hit their limits or if you go up a size so it remains at a serviceable speed.

Basically the new hybrid will deliver more air at a reliable/steady rate, is my thinking right in that it will come on boost earlier, as it's spinning at roughly the same rate (the 'gearing' for how fast it spins at x revs is basically the A/R on the turbine side?) but obviously the bigger compressor wheel will deliver more air per RPM. It may well even spin up quicker due to the design refinements you pointed out.

Feel free to tell me to shut up and get off your thread with the turbo spam btw, started reading up on it a while ago and found it interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Its a bigger wheel,so will take longer to spin up to speed=lag?
    It will just flow more for the same amount of boost

But yeah, probably hardly noticeable but im no turbo expert.....
    Its a bigger comp wheel Adam not a bigger turbine wheel, the turbine wheel does the 'spinning up'.

Quote Originally Posted by MK999
    Cool, I wasn't sure whether turbo's often hit their limits or if you go up a size so it remains at a serviceable speed.

Basically the new hybrid will deliver more air at a reliable/steady rate, is my thinking right in that it will come on boost earlier, as it's spinning at roughly the same rate (the 'gearing' for how fast it spins at x revs is basically the A/R on the turbine side?) but obviously the bigger compressor wheel will deliver more air per RPM. It may well even spin up quicker due to the design refinements you pointed out.

Feel free to tell me to shut up and get off your thread with the turbo spam btw, started reading up on it a while ago and found it interesting
    A turbo would hit its limit if it were undersized for the engine, but the wastage gate would be opened befor failure. The car would simply feel restricted to drive. If it were simply left to build boost then it would fail - ie over boost failure.

Basically you are now on the right lines with your thinking - The unit that i'm using with the upgrade will spin up at roughly the same speed as the original vxr unit given it has the same housing and turbine wheel, and it will deliver more boost per rpm than the standard unit. In the car the mid range torque should be noticeably improved as well as a bit more punch on the top end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're all right in one way or another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Count Vaux Alot
    Its a bigger comp wheel Adam not a bigger turbine wheel, the turbine wheel does the 'spinning up'.
    Which is attached to a now heavier/bigger comp wheel???

I agree with Simps. Crack on with the project!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I know is that if Carlsberg made Turbo's they'd probably be the best in the world!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps
    All I know is that if Carlsberg made Turbo's they'd probably be the best in the world!

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps
    Never understood that because the beers not that great

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really enjoying this thread turbo technology always seems some what of a black art its very interesting to see a small part of the process involved in improving or hybriding a turbo!

off topic a little can you recon turbo's?