Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: another source of income... car breaking?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha one of my best friends who coincidently has a mk 1 golf, were talking about that, which is kind of what set me off abit!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

listen to your heart and you will find the answer.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in that case im packing in my job and moving to the west end to become a drag queen that goes by the name of l0la.. awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISO container.

It depends what you're breaking tbh. I've always maintained car parts are the best stuff to sell on ebay, but then if you're breaking a whole car you may find the charges on the parts that don't sell offset the profits from the parts that do sell. If you're selling on here, you're limiting yourself to one type of car (i.e. Novas) to be of any use.

Even then, you'll still probably have a load of parts that you need to get rid of that won't sell, most likely shells. If you have the time, go for it, although working 8-6 with a woman too won't give you much spare time I'd have thought...

Give it a shot, buy a car and strip it, see how it goes. If its a success, buy another and go from there.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks RJ (do u mind the abbrieviation?) that seems like some good advice, would it be best to buy a car from the scrappers do you think? Or just to shop around and find a bargain, i am really thinking of giving it a go now, will probably wait till settled in the other house though.

It will probably help me to get to know you lot abit better too haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would probably be better off with a saturday/sunday job. Breaking cars will be a nightmare, bad enough trying to shift a few little bits. You gotta think about all the messing around with people saying they want stuff in 2 weeks on payday, i havent received this item i want my money back blablabla

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also a v.good point Rich thanks, do alot of people who are on here break cars anyway? just out of curiosity!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem is that you may have to hold the parts for a long time before some one wants them all, parts like AFMs, headlights, bumpers etc will go quick, but parts like handbrake levers, hubs, rear seats and fuse bases etc.. may take years to go. youl soon find yourself accumulating piles of perfectly useable junk that you cant afford to give valuable space or scrap it because it owes you money.

as mentioned, disposal of oils/fluids batteries and tyres will cost you money.

far better to buy broken gearboxes and scrap heads, remove all the steel and sell the castings and parts as clean steel or clean aluminium for top price and less waste. your guaranteed a return and waste is kept to a minimum.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats an interesting idea! thanks for that! i really hadnt given any thought to the its people wouldnt want, the latter option seems more suitable to my situation! much appriecated mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tidy Max
    thanks RJ (do u mind the abbrieviation?)
    lmfao, everyone tends to abbreviate my name to that now. Even off-forum as well. I have posts on my facebook referring to me as "RJ"

If I wanted to go for it, I'd pick something like a Cav V6 CDX - pick one up, preferably an MOT fail, for £300-450. Engine & stuff, £100; box, £50; interior £100; wheels £100. Thats most your money back straight out. Bits that people don't want you may as well just chuck out, or sell at rock bottom prices just to shift (things like headlights could net you a fiver apiece, but rear lights will struggle to sell).

Thinking about getting MOT fails, do you or your mate have trailer licenses? If you do pick up cheapy fail cars to break, you'll need to find a way of bringing them back to your storage.