Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How have you got your engine out !!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bought an engine crane (posh c*nt i know , £150 for a 1 ton crane from machine mart) but used to borrow one before that. last engine was took out by stihl sawing through the shafts, hacksawing through the wiring harness, pulled out the water pipes, undoing the mount bolts properly with engine held on crane and then pulled it out, job done. needless to say that engine wasnt going back in and have a new wiring harness.

Senior User
    Scunthorpe Drives: Astra Coupe Turbo, Vectra DTi GSi Rep
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it probably doesn't help but I cut the entire slam panel out and dragged the engine out with a trolley jack under the sump.
    pmsl
    this was the end result

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wings off, 2m length of 2" diameter exhaust tubing layed across, tied to the motor with some 40 year-old hemp rope, man at either end of the tubing and simply lift it out, Same method for putting one back in.

Done mine quite a few times like that now, thanks to the driveway having stones down the middle making a crane a right p.i.t.a. to move around. A lot easier this way if you have a removable or just non-existant slam panel, as you dont have to lift as high.