Thread: !!Deep puddle problem!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default !!Deep puddle problem!!

Problems I went through a very deep puddle today which was pretty much unavoidable and then a few seconds afterwards the car seemed to be misfiring. It was hard to drive but i managed to get it onto the motorway and gave it a good run and it seemed to clear it up but what was it and is there anything i should do about it? Ive got a 1.4 with a K&N apart from that the engine is standard. Cheers lads

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might just be your ignition leads breaking down a bit, had this problem myself on a different car and new leads cured it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like an electrical problem, I'm presuming a 1.4 carb........

It might have been water/moisture in the dizzy/plugs or connectors. If it was still mis-firing I'd advise a strip down and a slight spray of WD-40 to help with drying out.

I'm not trying to critisize but if the puddle was un-avoidable I hope you reduced your speed, and taking a misfiring car onto the motorway isn't advisable in any weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definately moisture prob mate, do what Chris says and you will rectify it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, i had the same problem a couple of days ago, i wasnt avoiding the puddles but going through them on purpose, good fun....
    anyway my dad being an ex mechanic told me dont do that as the water will mess up the spark plug leads on novas, it happens on these cars very often, if the puddle is unavoidable make sure u go through it as slow as possible to minimise the splash of the water onto your engine electrics etc,
    like next man said in his post give them a good spray with wd40 and that should cure the problem

hope this helps :D

Doc

Yeah definately spark plug leads. I had same problem on mine when in rained heavily the car would run on 3 cylinders intermitently. I put the bonnet up one night and cos it was dark i could see sparks shooting from lead number 3. Got it home and swapped the lead for an old one i had and it solved the problem