Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My C20LET Nova won't start.

Hey Folks,

Have my C20LET Nova all plumbed in and wired, went to start it tonight but with no success at all.

I cant get any spark at all, and cant get the fuel pump to fire.

I have checked the wireing and it seems to be fine. The live is connected and is working, switched live is working when the ignition is on. The ignition light is coming on the dash. The earths are present on the fuel rail, and I have a large earth on the gearbox. The engine cranks over without any problems. I have also tested the wireing to the fuel pump, and this is fine, there is just no power going to the wire when cranking the engine.

To test the crank sensor, I removed the sensor from my Ecotec SRI cavalier, and tried it, this made no difference. However I also fitted the LET crank sensor into my Cavalier, and it took longer to start and hesitated, and when it eventually fired up, it ran very lumpy. I assumed then that my crank sensor was faulty, however I still feel that because it worked to start my cavalier, then it should at least fire some spark or start my fuel pump.

I have also one more theory, and that is - Maybe my ECU is the imobiliser type? and is preventing the fuel pump and spark to fire, The engine is a Late LET, however the ECU is "PK" which I was told on several occasions it shouldnt be imobilised.

I'm totally baffled folks, I need help, and lots of it!! oh:

Thanks

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you got the ECU light coming on with ign?

Do I recall it was a mint/new loom you bought for the LET?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So when you turn the ignition on, there is 12v at the fuel pump, yet when you crank it over the voltage dies?

If so - you've connected the live to the wrong wire on your ignition barrell.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craig green
    Have you got the ECU light coming on with ign?

Do I recall it was a mint/new loom you bought for the LET?
    Loom was tidy'd and sorted by Nova-andy on MIG, he works for Delphi.

Quote Originally Posted by trackdaynova
    So when you turn the ignition on, there is 12v at the fuel pump, yet when you crank it over the voltage dies?

If so - you've connected the live to the wrong wire on your ignition barrell.
    There is only supposed to be 12v at the pump when the engine is cranking. The c20let loom is sending no power down the wire when the engine is cranking. However, if I send a live down the wire from the battery then the pump works. So the wireing to the pump, and pump are fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly the same symptoms as an x16xel i wired in and that turned out to be an immobilisor problem

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been told my PK ECU doesnt have the imobilizer, but i'm starting to doubt that?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know this may sound like a long shot, but were did you get the ecu from, if it was brought second hand what are the chance of the casings being change so it not actually a pk type ecu, just pk type casing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djbrowney
    i know this may sound like a long shot, but were did you get the ecu from, if it was brought second hand what are the chance of the casings being change so it not actually a pk type ecu, just pk type casing
    The Ecu came with his first let he got, We checked the ecu case earlyer and it's never been opened and is genuine enough.. It really is starting to sound more and more like a immobillier related problem... That or the guy whos done the loom has fooked it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont supose you know anyone with a known working ecu you could try ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres 3 ECU's for the LET, PJ - PK - HD, its only the HD ECU that was imobilised, so your PK one wont be imobilised so at least it rules that out.
    As for the problem i've no idea, thankfully mine fired up 1st time, when things just don't work then i struggle as well !!
    It'll turn out to be something blatantly obvious !!