PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* Remove badges.

Jack
23-02-08, 08:23 PM
Overview
This guide deals with how to remove both rigid plastic and vinyl sticker badges from places such as your boot, door and bonnet. I will be walking through the process of removing the badging from my spare tailgate, but the process is the same for whatever panel you are working on.

Note this guide does not specifically talk about removing side vinyl from SR models, but the theory is the same - just on a larger and more time consuming scale.

Tools required
Hot Air Gun/Hairdrier
Plastic Scraper
Methylated/White Spirit (or Bug & Tar Remover, but I find thats not as strong)
Cloth
Polish/Cut/Wax and Cloths

http://www.bvda.com/images/symb_xi.gif
CAUTION
Spirits such as meths and white spirit are harmful. These should only be used outside, or in a well ventilated area. If at any time when applying these spirits to the car you suffer from dizziness, nausea, or pain anywhere in your respiratory system then STOP immediately and get some fresh air.

Method
Step 1.
Make sure the area you're working on is clean - remove as much gunk and dirt from round the badges as possible. This makes cleaning post-removal much easier. If you've just cleaned the car, make sure its properly dried before your continue with removing the badges, as they may be holding water.

Step 2
Gently heat the badges using the hot air gun or hairdrier, on a low heat setting - all we want to do is warm the badge up, not make it red hot. Try to avoid holding the heat on one place, instead heat the badges evenly.

Step 3.
First, we'll look at removing the rigid plastic badging. Now they've warmed slightly, the tape that holds them on should have weakened enough to lift one edge of the badge (if not, apply more heat or try to lever it up with the plastic scraper). Pull the badging slowly away from the car, trying to keep it in one piece as this makes it easier to get off. The sticky tape should come off with the badge, if not, or if the badge does not come free easily, apply more heat with the hot air gun/hairdrier. Don't worry about small amounts of glue left behind, we'll sort that out in a minute.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Project%20Ghey/23022008145.jpg
Gently pull the badge off, starting at one edge.

Step 4.
Once the rigid plastic badge has been removed, we can have a go at the vinyl stickers. Again, apply some heat to the sticker, then use the plastic scraper at one end of the badge to begin scraping the vinyl off the car. If it doesn't peel up easily, apply more heat or wipe the area with some spirits. Unlike the plastic badge which should come off in one go by pulling, the vinyl sticker will need scraping off - if you don't have a suitable plastic scraper, I find the NOVA badge works perfectly. Keep heating the sticker and scraping it off until its all gone. Don't be too concerned if the plastic scraper is making marks in the paint as these will be polished out later. As before, you'll probably have some sticky glue residue left on the car - we'll get that off next.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Project%20Ghey/23022008148.jpg
Stickers will require scraping off in small bits.

Step 5.
Now the badges have been removed, we need to get rid of any stickiness left behind. General dust and dirt from around the badges should come off with a damp cloth, but to remove residue glue you'll need to put a small amount of spirits on a cloth and wipe down the marked areas.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Project%20Ghey/23022008149.jpg
Lots of sticky residue left here - wipe with spirits to remove.

Step 6.
With all the glue out the way, you'll probably find you can still see a "shadow" of where the badge was due to paint fade on the rest of the panel. Take some cutting solution on a cloth and rub over the area (ideally do the whole panel), them buff off - you'll probably need to do this two or three times. This takes a small layer of paint off, thus restoring its original colour. I used Autoglym Paint Restorer twice to begin with (as this is a medium level cut) then a couple layers of Meguiars Stage 1 (a fine level cut). Be careful using harsher cutting compounds, such as G3 - these are Ok to use, but will only need at very most two layers of application.

Step 7.
Apply two or more layers of polish to the area you cut in step 6, buff off each in turn. This will bring up a shine to the fresh paint you have uncovered. I used two layers of Meguiars Stage 2 here.

Step 8.
You should now find you have a nice clean area with no residual glue and no shadowing, with some lovely fresh paint. The final job is to protect that paint - apply a generous layer of wax to the area, leave to "set" for a while, then buff off with a clean cloth. This will add a super shiney layer to the paint as well as protecting it from the elements. I use Meguiars stage 3 carnuba wax at this point.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Project%20Ghey/23022008151.jpg
After a full cut, polish and wax the panel has come up nicely.

Thats it, you have successfully debadged your car! For best results, give the whole car a good polish and wax - so the newly cleaned area doesn't look too out of place. If you find there is still a shadowing effect on the paint, try applying a harsher cutting compound such as G3. Remember to apply polish and wax again afterwards.

hello147
15-06-08, 07:07 PM
I'm taking my bump strips off taken well over 8 hours now, and its so borring. Got one left!

The foam takes ages to get off.

Nova_Loon
15-06-08, 07:31 PM
or you can pull tham off tham us a da wheel lol

Novaboi_1991
06-09-08, 10:43 PM
Wickid, il be doing that tomo ;)

NovaBoi92
06-09-08, 10:50 PM
is it that easy with the SR vinyl along the bottom of the door etc?

burgo
07-09-08, 02:55 AM
Wicked, i'll be doing this tomorrow ;).

Nova_Sean
11-03-09, 03:29 PM
Is this the same principle for bump stripes along the doors?

Jack
11-03-09, 07:39 PM
Yep, pretty much. Just warm the rubber with a hairdryer or hot air gun nicely.

Unless they're very early Mk1 strips (i.e. Y/A/B/C reg...), in which case I think they have pins holding them in...