PDA

View Full Version : *INFO* 1.2 8v Tuning Guide

Ste L
16-02-08, 02:23 PM
Before commencing any engine modifications, it is advisable to ensure that all of the basic components are working well. This will save time and money. The engine itself should be in sound condition with no unusual knocking noises and no smoke. Theres no point spending money on an engine that is going to fail. Also check that the ignition system is in good working order. If in doubt use new plugs, leads and distributor cap, nothing fancy, as long as they work, there fine.

This guide is based at getting power on a strict budget. Even this will cost money, so if your only driving this particular car for a short while until you can afford something faster, dont bother, save your money. If however you see it as a project to get a quick little engine car and have fun, then these tips should be helpful. The only way you can really save money on any modification, is to do it yourself. If you are paying someone else, then change your pay details so that the money goes direct to the garage!

One last thing, if you have limited power, dont fit big body kits and wheels, I guarantee they will slow you down. I lied, another note, lose weight, drop the huge stereo system, and if you can bear it, strip some interior, it will make more difference than spending ?500!

Ok, on to tuning the 1.2:

You need to start hunting around the scrap yards.

Exhaust
You need to get a system from a GTE/GSI ideally. The SR models will still be an improvement, although I believe diameter will be bigger on the 1.6`s. Get the manifold, down pipes, and full system. The design is better with the twin down pipes, and this will flow the gasses out quicker. You will probably have to shell out around ?50 for the lot, but it will be far better than buying a performance back box.

Head
Stick with the one you have. It flows well, and will start costing to much money to play around with. If you really want to help, match the manifolds to the head by cutting the gaskets to the size of the manifolds and then taking metal out of the head to match the gasket. Personally for a beginner Id say not to bother. Its quite involved and you could do more damage than good. Cost ?0

Camshaft
Once gain the GTE/GSI is the best source. The camshafts are interchangeable, so the SR one will fit too. This will give increased duration and lift, but beware, try to use the followers that are with the new cam, and in the correct place. Also look at the amount of wear. There is no point picking a cam coz it is suppose to have 2mm higher lift over a longer duration if there is 4mm of wear on the followers. Try buying new ones if you can stretch to it, and come to mention it, buying new ones for the standard cam will probably bring back a few missing ponies. Costs: Cam: ?25

Inlet
The simplest and cheapest way forward is to find yourself a 1.3sr. It must be a 1.3 and not the 1.4 as they are very different. Youll need to take the carb and its manifold. The manifold will fit on the 1.2 head, and hey presto, you have a twin choke. This isnt the ultimate solution, but it is a vast improvement. Cost is gonna be ?50 plus from a scrappy.

Now this should get you SR (ish) performance. Not a rocket ship, but it will be more fun to drive. There is a lot more to do, but realisticly, its not worth the extra expense. Dont overlook the brakes and suspension!

Insurance is a consideration. Youll need to declare the carb and exhaust, both of which will have minimal effect on your premiums, if any at all. The camshaft however will never be noticed. Id bet money on that.

This all adds up to around ?125 (not bad for a 15+ bhp increase), you might be able to get bits cheaper or even for free, some scrappies might charge more, so expect to shell out between ?50 and ?150. Dont forget about consumables such as head bolts and gaskets, coolant and most importantly youll need a haynes manual!

---------------------------------
Guide written by Mc

freeman88
16-02-08, 06:44 PM
whats the difference between a 1e carb and a 2e ? and mine is mk 1.2ilux+ with spi (nochoke) do you have to have a choke with the sr carb and inlet ? or is it just bolt on and off and attach normal cables etc? because ive seen a 1e carb and manifold ? help appriciated

Steve
16-02-08, 06:47 PM
The 1e is the early sr single choke and the 2e is the later twin choke, much better.

burgo
17-02-08, 03:05 AM
if you are going to change the cam then the best standard cam is the 1.4sr cam. although being as these are hard to find the next best thing is a gte/gsi cam

Adam
17-02-08, 11:11 AM
Just to add a bit of info, the cam change part needs changing/removing.
As a 1400Sr, GTE/GSi cam WONT fit a 1.2 carb dizzy drive.

Only a 1300 cam is a straight swap.

So if you want to run a 1.4,1.6 cam you will need switch to a 1400 dizzy/ignition setup.

whats the difference between a 1e carb and a 2e ? and mine is mk 1.2ilux+ with spi (nochoke) do you have to have a choke with the sr carb and inlet ? or is it just bolt on and off and attach normal cables etc? because ive seen a 1e carb and manifold ? help appriciated This guide does not refer to your engine, yours is a spi, this guide is to 1200 8v carb engines.
Theres another guide kicking about somewhere for 1.2i's

meritlover
17-02-08, 11:15 AM
you should mention skimming 40thou off the 1.2 head to increase compressrion ratio. this makes a nice engine. also cut back the valve guides and remove the dangle berries from behind the valve seats. even a beginner can go this with a rotary burr and emery paper.
Adam, you can modify the distributor drive if you want to swap cams and keep electronic ignition. it is an easy thing to change.

Stuart
17-02-08, 09:34 PM
you should mention skimming 40thou off the 1.2 head to increase compressrion ratio.

I'd only do that if the head hadnt been skimmed already.... its ALWAYS wise to measure the CR when you start stripping/rebuilding the engine etc.

OllieKing
21-05-08, 06:18 PM
;

matt_vaughan
01-07-08, 10:43 PM
Right, been offered a 1.3 SR cam and followers for the 1.2 in mine.

I'm assuming there's some difference in lift, however, is it enough to justify doing the job?

Stuart
02-07-08, 08:50 AM
many years ago when Velos were running they swapped a 1.2 cam for a 1.3 cam and found 5bhp.... imho thats decent going for a little effort and £8 in a draper cam tool (saves head off antics)

burgo
02-07-08, 09:03 AM
:eek: 1.2 cam must be crap

matt_vaughan
02-07-08, 01:19 PM
Wow I didn't think it would make that much difference.

Burgo well said, the 1.2 cam must be absolutely flat lmfao

turbojolt
08-07-08, 11:17 AM
so is the 1.3 cam a straight swap what would i need to do this

turbojolt
08-07-08, 02:49 PM
there seems to be a lot of info on tuning these1.2 8v engines but who here has actually done it

and what have you done what are your experiences with tuning the 1.2's

did you notice a big difference or is this thread a observation on what can be done to a 1.2 and not actually been carried out by any one lol

matt_vaughan
08-07-08, 02:59 PM
Yer we could do with some recomendations and opinions rather than a compatibility list.

turbojolt
08-07-08, 03:59 PM
yer that's what i mean i would love to see a dyno print of all this on a 1.2 might have to do it one day when I'm a bit more flush lol

i know its not going to lead to massive gains but still would like to see just how much extra performance you can get for under 200 quid

mikey14sr
08-07-08, 04:59 PM
Many years ago I had a 1.2 with a 36mm weber carb, 1.3 camshaft and SR exhaust manifold with a home-made single box system which ended up with 60bhp, the same as a 1.4spi. Unfortunately I never got a print-out of it though.

Lexmaul used to do a kit for the 1.2 that basicly included the 1.3 exhaust manifold and system, with their own camshaft with some other bits (can't remember what) and quoted 80bhp when set-up.

Arragorn who some members may remember applied similar ideas to a 1.2spi (gte cam, exhaust system, 1.4spi injector) and I think that managed to hit 75bhp.

tbh I wouldn't mind another one just to see what I could get out of it.

matt_vaughan
08-07-08, 05:34 PM
I fancy trying some things out (SR Cam for example, and I'll probably mate a GTE manifold & downpipe to Eurorallye system at some point too)

NovaLad
08-07-08, 06:03 PM
So if i went to my local BMS and got a 1.3 cam for my 1.2 carb it will go straight on and gain me 5bhp [ YO! ]??

How easy is it to change.

Lee
08-07-08, 06:31 PM
I have all the bits to build a nice 1.2 spec, i just havent got around to doing it yet. My 1.2 already has a GTe exhaust system, and in the barn I have a 1.4SR cam, 1.3 inlet manifold and a 32/34 weber carb. I just need the jets to have all the bits complete. When I do it ill post my findings on here.

Adam
08-07-08, 06:33 PM
So if i went to my local BMS and got a 1.3 cam for my 1.2 carb it will go straight on and gain me 5bhp [ YO! ]??

How easy is it to change.
Yes

Piss easy if you know how. Not so easy for a novice(cambelt etc etc all has to come off)

matt_vaughan
08-07-08, 06:37 PM
Yes

Piss easy if you know how. Not so easy for a novice(cambelt etc etc all has to come off)

Got ma dad for all that.

Sounds good, will get round to it when I get some cash in!

Will post my results on just the cam first, then I'll get round to fitting the GTE stuff and Eurorallye System

turbojolt
08-07-08, 07:09 PM
good cant wait to see the results lol

Stuart
08-07-08, 08:21 PM
Got ma dad for all that.

Sounds good, will get round to it when I get some cash in!

Will post my results on just the cam first, then I'll get round to fitting the GTE stuff and Eurorallye System

dont forget that the GTE cam wont have the fuel pump lobe for the 1.2 carb pump.

NovaLad
08-07-08, 08:25 PM
But a 1.3 cam belt will go straightonto a 1.2 with no other mod?

burgo
09-07-08, 01:43 AM
you dont need to change the cam belt novalad, you just have to take it off to change the cam.

russpazz
12-07-08, 03:34 PM
i did my 1.2 nova like;- decat, 4-1 manifold, power boost valve, 4.5'' back box, kandn induction kit. corsa sri inlet,loom,cam,gearbox that was the only engine mods and it f'in flew. had over 130mph out it (private land ofcourse) i was beating everything vtr's vts's, cav scoobys everything loved it

matt_vaughan
12-07-08, 05:32 PM
power boost valve? so it was turbo?

some things I'm sure would be beneficial that could be done to optimise the head and get as much power out of a 1.2 are:

Port polishing
Skim the head
Skim the cam carrier (increase cam lift....would be even better if SR cam would be used)
Polish inlet manifold (inside obviously) to help flow

There's also the trick of installing the crank and rods from a 1.3 to basically create a 1.4 1200/1300 hybrid (not sure about this as it's never been done as far as i know...although i'm sure someone has sometime......)...however it isnt a 1.2 then is it.

Adam
12-07-08, 06:56 PM
i did my 1.2 nova like;- decat, 4-1 manifold, power boost valve, 4.5'' back box, kandn induction kit. corsa sri inlet,loom,cam,gearbox that was the only engine mods and it f'in flew. had over 130mph out it (private land ofcourse) i was beating everything vtr's vts's, cav scoobys everything loved it
A Vts would annihalate a 1.2
If you passed one, he wasn't trying, or it wasn't a vts.

burgo
12-07-08, 06:58 PM

not true. i beat a vts round some bends and he flat out refused to beleave it was a 1.2 :thumb:

Adam
12-07-08, 07:07 PM
He was a s**t driver then. lol
A vts would out handle a nova and be about on pace with a 1600 8v nova, never mind a 1.2

burgo
12-07-08, 07:16 PM
He was a s**t driver then. lol
A vts would out handle a nova and be about on pace with a 1600 8v nova, never mind a 1.2you seem to neglect that i was in my saloon and therefore had far superior handling to anything else on the road :thumb:

Adam
12-07-08, 07:35 PM
Oh, that'll explain it then

russpazz
13-07-08, 08:15 PM
arite i made it all up ye? no it was a straight road he was trying he was my mate. nova handling is spot on (imo). power boost valves 4 n/a engines increase fuel some how its just a regulator made by FSE

turbojolt
14-07-08, 06:34 PM
i don't think they increase fuel the are meant to increase fuel pressure which changes the fuel spray as it come out of the injector

from what i have heared about them anyway

Riggy
14-07-08, 07:09 PM
There's also the trick of installing the crank and rods from a 1.4 to basically create a 1.4 1200 hybrid (not sure about this as it's never been done as far as i know...although i'm sure someone has sometime......)...however it isnt a 1.2 then is it.

1300 crank and rods , increase the capacity to a 1.4 lol :thumb:

turbojolt
14-07-08, 07:20 PM
when i get me new job I'm going to try out this stuff on a 1.2 and get all dyno results before and after

hopefully the engine will not blow up on the dyno on the first run lol

turbojolt
14-07-08, 07:27 PM
that 1.3 crankshaft and rods sounds interesting with a 1.3sr inlet and carb and manifold some exhaust system i bet that would be a fun car to drive

matt_vaughan
14-07-08, 07:29 PM
Thought it didnt sound right when I was typing, everyone, if you hadnt noticed, use 1.3 crank and rods! lol

turbojolt
14-07-08, 07:31 PM
i think someone on here told me people were doing it on the autograss tracks as some point as you cant tell that anything has been done lol

burgo
14-07-08, 08:27 PM
i don't think they increase fuel the are meant to increase fuel pressure which changes the fuel spray as it come out of the injector

from what i have heared about them anywayno they increase fuel pressure therefore they make the injectors inject more fuel. will do funk all on a carb car

turbojolt
14-07-08, 08:37 PM
o right well i heared wrong then lol

turbojolt
14-07-08, 09:37 PM
would a 1.3 carb need to be down jetted to match the 1.2 engine

matt_vaughan
15-07-08, 10:58 AM
Dont think so mate, I'd try it without rejetting first. Should be ok iirc

burgo
15-07-08, 01:28 PM
what other mods do you have planned?

matt_vaughan
15-07-08, 01:35 PM
List of stuff I'm thinking of doing....to make a kind of stealthy engine.

- Skimming.....both Head and Cam carrier.
This would cost me around 60-80 quid I rekon. Giving higher lift on cam, theoretically, and increasing compression ratio. Need to measure CR first to make sure everything's hunky dorey.

- 1.3 SR camshaft kit.
Cam and followers to be installed.

- GTE/GSI exhaust system, from manifold back. This should give good exhaust flow, much better than standard system. May then try out a Eurorallye exhaust system mated to the front end of the GTE/GSI system.

- Either SR or 32/34 Weber carbs. This will probably be a bit further in the future.

- Eventually might try the 1.3 crank and rods in it, however 1.3 engines are like rocking horse **** so I'm not holding out hopes, unless I can find one which needs rebuilding, so I can nick the relevant parts.

I'm hoping to get close to SR performance. I know it would be much more advisable to XE the thing, but I fancy doing some of this stuff just as an exercise. Plus I think I would be lethal with 150 brake lol

Hobbit
15-07-08, 03:45 PM
1300 crank and rods , increase the capacity to a 1.4 lol :thumb:

i didn't know this, very interesting. would work well with the other goodies i have goin on my 1.2.

russpazz
15-07-08, 05:24 PM
no they increase fuel pressure therefore they make the injectors inject more fuel. will do funk all on a carb car

hence sri inlet

burgo
15-07-08, 06:03 PM
i didn't know this, very interesting. would work well with the other goodies i have goin on my 1.2.just bare in mind that altho yes it does give you a 1.4, it achieves this by having quite a large stroke and therefore a lazy engine. you'd be better off with a normal 1.4 bottom end

turbojolt
15-07-08, 06:20 PM
is the sr crank and rods the same as in the 1300 mk2 astras

any one thinking of doing the 1.3 crankshaft and con-rods should have a look here clicky (http://www.reidracing.co.uk/nova-parts-forsale.asp) there is a set of balanced and polished 1300 sport con-rods for only £60

also before tuning a 1.2 8v engine would it not be a good idear to change all the oil and filters timing belt maybe run a bottle of engine flush through the system maybe flush the cooling system change the dizzy the spark plugs and ht leads just to make sure it was in really good condition before spending money on it

Hobbit
16-07-08, 06:13 AM
just bare in mind that altho yes it does give you a 1.4, it achieves this by having quite a large stroke and therefore a lazy engine. you'd be better off with a normal 1.4 bottom end

but i want to keep my 1.2 head, i was under the impresion that only the 1.3 bottom end would fit.

oh and its a well maintained engine, dizzy, leads, oil is all pretty new.

burgo
16-07-08, 02:02 PM
why do you want to keep your 1.2 head??

Hobbit
16-07-08, 03:08 PM
because of all the bits i already have on it, (manifolds, cam.)

turbojolt
16-07-08, 03:43 PM
what manifold ans cams do you have on it already mate

Hobbit
16-07-08, 04:03 PM
Only got a four branch mani and full mongoose system on it at the moment.
But got an irmcher inlet with twin carbs, kent fast road cam and vernier pulley goin on in the next few weeks.
I'm getting the head polished and stuff and set up by my local rolling road.

Got my mot this month so wanna get it through that before i carry on playing.

ps, i know i could change the engine for the money im spending but its my money to waste :D and i have coilovers. strut brace and gsi brakes for the people thinking i should be consentrating on handling first.

turbojolt
16-07-08, 04:11 PM
did you notice much of a diffrence when you put on the manifold and exhaust or was it just manily a sound diffrence

are you or have you had it on a rolling road yet

burgo
16-07-08, 04:30 PM
so your not changing the head because of the bits connected to it!!! thats stupid imo. 1.2 valves are tiny. hopefully by tonight i should know the cc of the combustion chambers of 1.2, 14sri and 1.6 heads so can advice you which of the other two is best to fit

turbojolt
16-07-08, 04:36 PM
is a 1.6 or 1.4 sri head going to be a direct fit

also i might be wrong but arnt the 1.4 sri heads a bit of a rarity

burgo
16-07-08, 04:38 PM
no they are redily available on mk3 astra's and as i said ill let you know later

turbojolt
16-07-08, 04:44 PM
what so dose the 1.4i astra have the same engine as the sri i never knew this

burgo
16-07-08, 04:45 PM
the 1.4 mpi yes as they do the spi in them aswell

burgo
16-07-08, 07:10 PM
right results are. if you use a 1.4 sri head you get a compression ratio of 8:! and a 1.6 head you get 7:! both of which are miles off the mark. if you can remove 7cc from the 1.4 head volume then it will take it back to 10:1

turbojolt
16-07-08, 08:12 PM
so could that be a easy way to have a low compression engine for maybe a turbo

or am i muppet for thinking this lol

burgo
16-07-08, 08:16 PM
yes exactly that turbojolt

turbojolt
16-07-08, 08:19 PM
what im a mupet or it would be good lmao

burgo
16-07-08, 08:20 PM
both :thumb:

turbojolt
16-07-08, 08:22 PM
lmao so how did you work it out mate are you a engine builder or just really smart when it comes to engines

turbojolt
16-07-08, 08:29 PM
i think we are going to have to make another article to add to this one now as options have just opened right up for the 1.2 engine from a little conversion

turbojolt
16-07-08, 10:24 PM
dose or can anyone work out what compression ration a 1.2 with a 1.3sr crank and rods would be roughly as i have no knowledge on how to do this

burgo
16-07-08, 11:10 PM
im just very smart :P. basically i measured the cc of the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 heads then use stu's calculators

Hobbit
17-07-08, 03:28 AM
so your not changing the head because of the bits connected to it!!! thats stupid imo. 1.2 valves are tiny. hopefully by tonight i should know the cc of the combustion chambers of 1.2, 14sri and 1.6 heads so can advice you which of the other two is best to fit

well i must be stupid then, is just a bit of fun, just want to see what kinda power i can get out of the engine.

if i wanted amazing power gains i would've kept my 200sx on the road.

Hobbit
17-07-08, 03:32 AM
did you notice much of a diffrence when you put on the manifold and exhaust or was it just manily a sound diffrence

are you or have you had it on a rolling road yet

not much diferrence if any, maybe a tiny bit more responsive but nothing to get excited about.

havent put it on the rollers yet, but am kinda tempted to do it before i fit the other parts so i can get a before and after figure.

turbojolt
17-07-08, 01:50 PM
sorry to be very dim but is the cc the amount that the ports can flow

turbojolt
17-07-08, 01:51 PM
not much diferrence if any, maybe a tiny bit more responsive but nothing to get excited about.

haven't put it on the rollers yet, but am kinda tempted to do it before i fit the other parts so i can get a before and after figure.

it would be very interesting to see the differences seems as you are going to be caring out a far amount of work

Hobbit
17-07-08, 02:45 PM
thats what im thinking, it seems everyone gets shot down when they ask about tunning the little 1.2, so would be good to have some concrete figures for people to refer to instead of 'dont bother its not worth it' from the big block brigade.

the rolling road im using is proper old school and is good with carb vauxhall engines, his rollers are only good for about 200bhp so think i'll be safe to use him throughout this little experiment.

i will get a power run as it stands and another one after he's tuned it up then we'll have some base figures to start from.

any constructive suggestions on this are welcome. :thumb:

turbojolt
17-07-08, 02:52 PM
thats what im thinking, it seems everyone gets shot down when they ask about tunning the little 1.2, so would be good to have some concrete figures for people to refer to instead of 'dont bother its not worth it' from the big block brigade.

the rolling road im using is proper old school and is good with carb vauxhall engines, his rollers are only good for about 200bhp so think i'll be safe to use him throughout this little experiment.

i will get a power run as it stands and another one after he's tuned it up then we'll have some base figures to start from.

any constructive suggestions on this are welcome. :thumb:

to be honest i cant wait lol

i hate all this you could put a xe in it and get more power at the end of the day they could convert it to a space frame chassis and run a twin turbo mid engined 5.0ltr v8 but they don't i hate all the negative comments on the tuning of the smaller engines

i hope it all goes well for you mate any idear when you will be getting this all done

burgo
17-07-08, 02:52 PM
cc is a measurement of area

turbojolt
17-07-08, 02:55 PM
cc is a measurement of area

im with you now :thumb:

lol

Hobbit
17-07-08, 02:57 PM
i'll pop in to the rolling road this week and book the first run, and hopefully the next stage of tunning will be done next month.

Stuart
17-07-08, 02:59 PM
volume ;)

turbojolt
17-07-08, 07:07 PM
so what would you have skimmed of the 1.4 multi point injection head to make a safe compression ratio

also what kind of lift dothe cams have on them

mowgli
19-07-08, 08:53 PM
As someone who did the 1.2-1.4 conversion, the pistons need pocketing...
I actually did the old fashioned method of measuring all of the bits with a drilled perspex sheet & a syringe then did the sums...
then just to make sure, I measured a photo in an old copy of CCC mag with an article about PMC producing the conversion.. the numbers worked out the same, it was something like a 6mm dish. very similar to the old 1.3 low comp pistons.. the engineering firm would never charge me for doing them cos they didn't want to be held liable.

as for the lazy engine comment... it just had bags of torque. I never tried the big cam etc.

the other thing about doing it to a 1.2/1.3 as opposed to using a 1.4 is that there is no risk of needing to fit an f13 box

turbojolt
19-07-08, 09:17 PM
mowglie do you stilll need to pocket the pistons if you start witha 1.2 block and pistons and use the 1.2 cylinder head and just change the crankshaft and con-rods

Hobbit
20-07-08, 03:09 PM
As someone who did the 1.2-1.4 conversion, the pistons need pocketing...
I actually did the old fashioned method of measuring all of the bits with a drilled perspex sheet & a syringe then did the sums...
then just to make sure, I measured a photo in an old copy of CCC mag with an article about PMC producing the conversion.. the numbers worked out the same, it was something like a 6mm dish. very similar to the old 1.3 low comp pistons.. the engineering firm would never charge me for doing them cos they didn't want to be held liable.

as for the lazy engine comment... it just had bags of torque. I never tried the big cam etc.

the other thing about doing it to a 1.2/1.3 as opposed to using a 1.4 is that there is no risk of needing to fit an f13 box

i really want to try this, but im struggling to find the parts to do it (funny that.)

would rather do it with after market crank and rods.

turbojolt
20-07-08, 05:16 PM
if you are struggling i belive the 1.3 crankshaft and rods can also be found in the 1.3 carb astras

burgo
21-07-08, 02:02 AM
if you are struggling i belive the 1.3 crankshaft and rods can also be found in the 1.3 carb astraslol they are rarer than 1.3 novas

Hobbit
21-07-08, 03:16 PM
theres one on ebay out of an astra but its in wales,

anyway rods are sorted :thumb:

just need to find a crank.

8vluxe+
11-08-08, 10:57 PM
ive got a 1992 1.2i and i know this is a stupid thing to say but it appears that the engine is missing some thing ,now ive looked at other engine bays and they have a fuel pump or oil pump correct me if im wrong at on the end by the cam it looks like suttin was there but i bought the car like this and its just looks suspect but it does run well not now becauce it creamed up and sprayed all over the bay lol so if some one could send me a private message or post it on this thread id be grateful cheers

meritlover
11-08-08, 11:21 PM
what would you like me to put in your private message? iam scared with your wordage.

burgo
12-08-08, 01:34 AM
you are correct in that some novas have a fuel pump at the end of the cam carrier. however being as yours is an injection it has the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. so you have nothing to worry about with that

8vluxe+
17-08-08, 03:09 PM
lol nuh it was just its quicker for me to read it as a private message than to look through a thread lol and cheers burgo i really did think that it was missing lol

8vluxe+
17-08-08, 03:13 PM
also if i replace the valves is there any work that needs doing to them or are they fine as they are when i put them in brand new ones that is
cheers

burgo
17-08-08, 03:44 PM
you need to grind them in so that they seal properly

8vluxe+
17-08-08, 06:29 PM
annova question i have searched the forums but i cant seem to find exactly how to do a head gasket properly i did it once but loads of water got in the engine and it creamed up harshly and made a ryt state of the engine bay so im not completely sure wot happened but i think it was the head gasket or just me not torqueing it up properly cheers 4 replying

turbojolt
17-08-08, 10:35 PM
did you make sure not to do one bolt up fully and then do another fully up

as you need to do them up evenly to make a good seal

8vluxe+
18-08-08, 10:25 PM
no i sort of did them up diagonaly if you get me and went from one end to the other in order its hard to explain cheers

scottydogg38
28-08-08, 11:16 AM
very gud info thanx

Stoo
28-08-08, 11:25 AM
very gud info thanx

See! Teh search works!! Good rep inbound :thumb:

Dod
28-08-08, 12:52 PM
Pity the spellbot doesnt.

Txt typn FTL init.

Stuart
28-08-08, 01:37 PM
annova question i have searched the forums but i cant seem to find exactly how to do a head gasket properly i did it once but loads of water got in the engine and it creamed up harshly and made a ryt state of the engine bay so im not completely sure wot happened but i think it was the head gasket or just me not torqueing it up properly cheers 4 replying

1, STOP text typing.
2, GET A HAYNES MANUAL!!!!!! that covers how to do a head gasket lol

just vaux trev
03-09-08, 12:01 PM
right think i'll join in with this now as i have just aquired a 1.2 5 door and a 1.2 2 door hatch atm the 5 door has a 4 branch 1 box system,and has 36k on the clock (gen) so ripe for some new toy abuse, i have a webber 32/34 carb of a 1.3 sr (need find manifold) or i have a 1.4 sri mpi inlet and ecu (no loom)
not sure which to go for or which cam to go with it again this will be just for experiment on a budget any ideas which would benifit most,
i even have a set of 1100 bike carbs. which leads me to another question 1200 bike carb 1200 car engine would this work

burgo
03-09-08, 12:13 PM
right think i'll join in with this now as i have just aquired a 1.2 5 door and a 1.2 2 door hatch atm the 5 door has a 4 branch 1 box system,and has 36k on the clock (gen) so ripe for some new toy abuse, i have a webber 32/34 carb of a 1.3 sr (need find manifold) or i have a 1.4 sri mpi inlet and ecu (no loom)
not sure which to go for or which cam to go with it again this will be just for experiment on a budget any ideas which would benifit most,
i even have a set of 1100 bike carbs. which leads me to another question 1200 bike carb 1200 car engine would this work3 door hatch you mean sugar ;). you just wish you had a 2 door lol

just vaux trev
03-09-08, 12:17 PM
lol did i not see a (roling shell)wanted by you burgo

burgo
03-09-08, 12:19 PM
doesnt have to be rolling doesnt even need to be a whole shell lol. the floor can have fallen out for all i care but yes i do want a 4 door

just vaux trev
03-09-08, 12:22 PM
/\ is that another loon then or are you joining the good looking club lol

burgo
03-09-08, 12:24 PM
4 door is a loon yes

just vaux trev
03-09-08, 12:29 PM
ah!!! slow me just clicked in yeah 3 door hatch,4 door loon 2 door loon ect,
lol:tard:

boffer8
04-09-08, 08:46 PM
hi everyone, just thought id add my 2 pence! lol i have a 1.2 thats properly tuned up and on the rolling road i got 91.2bhp out of it, its amazing what a decent cam twin 40's and a couple of other bits can do! this was all on an untouched bottom end too so if i got in to doing that i could expect over 100bhp the rolling road guy said. 1.2's are great fun but must say that it is best to start with an ealry 1.2 as the heads are better and its just got the better bits on it to start moding it. i say pants to everyone that says dont bother with a 1.2 because i have done the brakes, suspension and engine on mine too and i can keep up with me mums clio 182 on the roads round me and i aint joking shes won night rally championships and scatter championships before so she does'nt hang around too much!! lol
just goes to show that a free 1.2 and a few quid spent on ebay goes along way!

matt_vaughan
05-09-08, 06:48 PM
Get in Ben, you stick it to the big blocks !!!!

Now I understand how your car's so effin quick, 91 flamin' brake.

You got any bits lying around in those sheds someone mentioned ya can flog to us on wednesday night? Could do with some grunt to keep up with a mate's 80 brake Corsa C.

boffer8
05-09-08, 06:51 PM
haha id give the organiser a ring for wednesday becuse on wednesday at the meeting it was doubtable wether it would run tbh!
i will have a look for you, but what are you interested in doing to it tbh?
cheers

matt_vaughan
05-09-08, 07:18 PM
Yer was thinking about the weather.

Haha, improvements.

Want some sneeky stuff for engine, but that'll probably involve skimming etc.

You got anything like strut braces or the likes knocking around.

Car's pretty much standard so anything you think I might be interested in mate.

boffer8
05-09-08, 08:34 PM
well i aint got strut braces because im using them at the mo but will have a shufty for you!

id leavin skimming to a lot later on to be honest because unless you is going for proper top end its wise leaving it until you have everything else sorted!

rallydak
13-10-08, 05:33 PM
hi, can people tell me what is the best combination engine wise for a 1200 nova. like what head, cam, inlet (eg GTE, GSI, 1300, 1400 or what)also bottom end. although the problem is my engine has to remain looking standard as it is a competition car in a standard 1200 class this means no webbers etc.

cheers

Stuart
13-10-08, 06:29 PM
I take it you didnt read the tuning guide then..... :wall:

rallydak
14-10-08, 08:39 PM
i did yea, although i read that much stuff there i jus started to get confused as everyone was looking to try different things. i was just wondering if you would be able to tell me what you think would be the best combination bottom end, head, cam, inlet, gearbox etc. with the engine still looking standard. the problem is that it has to be the best combination as many of the people are cheating already and it is impossible to catch them with a standard car. if you could privat message me what you think would work the best it would be very helpful.

Stuart
14-10-08, 08:44 PM
rat on the cheaters and win legitimately ;)

General Baxter
14-10-08, 08:45 PM
im sure theres something about a 1.2 block 1.4 crank, makes a 1.4 or something, i canny remember lol

rallydak
14-10-08, 08:50 PM
naa the people running it no they are cheatin but don't want to say anything as they will be cutting there own profits so that won't work. and there is too many people doing it any to strip them all. so if you could help me out.

turbojolt
15-10-08, 08:46 AM
no its a 1.3 crankshaft and con-rods in to the 1.2 makes a 1400 but these crankshaft are as rare as rocking horse poo

matt_vaughan
17-11-08, 09:19 PM
no its a 1.3 crankshaft and con-rods in to the 1.2 makes a 1400 but these crankshaft are as rare as rocking horse poo

Surely a parts supplier has some new ones?

Lee
28-11-08, 06:20 PM
Quick question. What jets should i use in my 32/34? 1.3 jets?

Ill be using a 1.4 SR cam and ingnition.

Adam
28-11-08, 06:32 PM
What on, a 1200?
1.3 jets would be a good starting point aye
Should at least run well enough to drive

Lee
28-11-08, 06:36 PM
What on, a 1200?

Clues in the thread lol

Its currently got 1400 jets in it from the SR, would that be too much of a starting point? Im not sure where i put me 1300 jets lol

Adam
28-11-08, 06:39 PM
Oh yeah lol lol
It will probably run fine on 1400 jets too(down on power/mpg obviously like), might need a play about with the idle mix/speed.

Lee
28-11-08, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah lol lol
It will probably run fine on 1400 jets too(down on power/mpg obviously like), might need a play about with the idle mix/speed.

I might try and xource some 1300 ones methinks.

Cheers Ad :thumb:

Hobbit
30-11-08, 05:20 AM
Surely a parts supplier has some new ones?

i looked into it and the cheapest i could find was 500 quid lol

matt_vaughan
03-12-08, 12:37 AM
i looked into it and the cheapest i could find was 500 quid lol

oooo thats pretty horrible. Will be moving up to 1400 soon anyways to not to bothered about it at the moment.

Actually trying my hardest to kill my 1.2 for an excuse to change, but the little begger aint dying lol

speedy790
09-12-08, 11:39 PM
Can anyone tell me are all the 1300 cams the same, or are the SR ones different? I see cams advertised for sale and they all say 'all 1300's' ??
Thanks

turbojolt
10-12-08, 12:10 AM
Can anyone tell me are all the 1300 cams the same, or are the SR ones different? I see cams advertised for sale and they all say 'all 1300's' ??
Thanks

i believe all the 1300 engines are the same as long as they are vauxhall and carb from such as the old astras and so on

Jack
10-12-08, 12:37 AM
The only difference would be Irmscher cams in a sport.

Thats Novas though, not sure if any other Vauxhall engines had different cams mind.

burgo
10-12-08, 01:20 AM
even then tho jack the enem cam was an option most didnt go for

matt_vaughan
15-02-09, 02:43 PM
Just aquired a 1.3 engine, how tempting to slam the crank and rods in the 1.2.

Now me and my dad rekon the result would be a relatively lazy engine due to the long stroke, but I've been told they rev nicely.

Garingo
08-03-09, 02:14 PM
What cam have you got in your 1200? Have you skimmed the head at all?
I'm doin a sport replica & thought of taking out the 1200 & put in a 1300 but after reading about your 91bhp 1200 I don't think ill bother.

P Whack
17-03-09, 06:11 PM
will a 1.6 gte cam fit into a standard 1.2 spi engine? and run fine? as i am lookingg to do this

Adam
17-03-09, 06:13 PM
Yes

P Whack
17-03-09, 11:07 PM
So does that mean i could fit a GTE cam pulley? would this make any difference? can you get lightened ones of these?

Adam
17-03-09, 11:18 PM
Gte cam pully is same as a 1.2i one

P Whack
18-03-09, 12:11 AM
so this gte cam fits the spi engine and not the ccarb engine am i right

matt_vaughan
18-03-09, 01:27 AM
Isnt there an article for tuning SPI engines?

Edit Yes!

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93474

bigdan1
29-06-09, 09:53 AM

where u got this from? ive raced a few vts' and beat them and alos the festa zetec s and i had 3 people in !!!!!

Cle
29-06-09, 11:31 AM
where u got this from? ive raced a few vts' and beat them and alos the festa zetec s and i had 3 people in !!!!!

sorry but thats impossible for a 1.2, they must have not been trying, My mate has a zetec s with miltek exhaust and k&n filter and it absaloutly(sp) hammers my 1.2i

bigdan1
30-06-09, 02:53 PM
sorry but thats impossible for a 1.2, they must have not been trying, My mate has a zetec s with miltek exhaust and k&n filter and it absaloutly(sp) hammers my 1.2i

obviously i wouldnt beat in a straight line .. but honestly round bends and built up areas my nova corners like a housefly :D
and also i have very big stones 2 back it up which makes alot of difference

novaxe235
03-07-09, 03:15 PM
sorry but thats impossible for a 1.2, they must have not been trying, My mate has a zetec s with miltek exhaust and k&n filter and it absaloutly(sp) hammers my 1.2ii didnt think you had a license or your car ran or was road worthy ?

bigdan1
04-07-09, 12:36 PM
i didnt think you had a license or your car ran or was road worthy ?

no iv neva lost my lisence, my car neva fails on me and it passes every m.o.t without nothing going wrong! so dunno where you've got this info from!

021-bennettt
04-07-09, 03:29 PM
Cle;the 1.2 carb has 10bhp more than the 1.2i from the factory i think so the carb would be quicker anyway

matt_vaughan
08-07-09, 05:24 PM
Incase anyone want som info on the Cams...

Lift

Inlet Exhaust
12ST - 5.1mm 5.5mm
12NV 4.7mm 5.1mm
13S/SB 6.0mm 6.0mm

So you can see that just by changing cam to 1300 Cam would give some half decent gains, even moreso on a later 12NV model engine.

The Kent Cams

Kent AST1 Sports 6.24mm 270 degrees
Kent AST11 Sports 6.09mm
Kent AST18 SuperSports R 7.75mm 304 degrees
Kent AST19 Race Spec 7.46mm 313 degrees
Kent AST17 Supersports 6.95mm 284 degrees

More info is available on the Kent Cams site

Kent cams states that the AST1 give 10bhp increase on 1300 engine ;)

021-bennettt
08-07-09, 06:00 PM
Just bought a kent high lift cam and pulley for my 1.2carb on ebay for £46 :)

matt_vaughan
08-07-09, 06:46 PM
Bargain, I'll check the lift on the various kent cams to add to above list

021-bennettt
08-07-09, 07:12 PM
I know i couldn't believe i had won it as i was at work when it ended and i thought i was going to be out bid at the last minute as usual! lol
Im not sure if I should get twin wbers or just a 32/34 weber carb on a 1.3mani??i can get an irmscher inlet mani for the twin webers for 50euro off a guy over here lik!

matt_vaughan
08-07-09, 07:20 PM
Twin 40s. I posted a "guide" for jets for twin 40s including a 1200 engine in the articles section. Check that out.

Or do what I'm doing on the High Comp 1.4....Bike carbs!

Cle
09-07-09, 02:40 PM
i didnt think you had a license or your car ran or was road worthy ?

I have no license, My car runs fine and no its not road worthy, It was at my friends dads garage i had my nova there for the night so i was mucking around in it with my mate in his zetec s and yes its private property.

Thanks

021-bennettt
09-07-09, 04:15 PM
Ya you said to use 1.3sr jets didn't you?
Eh i have a bit of a problem becase i don't actually know where the jets are in the engine or what they look like lol
I would **** up the bike carbs and there is know one ova here who would be able to set them up properly for me!

matt_vaughan
09-07-09, 06:14 PM
Do twin 40s then, its relatively easy conversion and been done countless times.

Stuart
09-07-09, 07:20 PM
please note.... this is NOT a chit chat section of the forum. Its an articles one.

I shall read through later and remove posts/people if need be!

kyle g
27-09-09, 09:06 PM
would any of this work on a 1.4 8v in a corsa b ?

Stuart
27-09-09, 09:33 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93430 only had to go back a few pages in the articles.

spunkeymonkey
10-01-10, 10:06 PM
how much do you recon 1300 con rods would cost? i have a crank but need the con rods to make it a 1400

OllieKing
17-02-10, 11:20 PM
Im looking at a set of R6 bike carbs, will these work on my 89 mk1 1200 or will i get a better gain from twin 40s or a webber. also if i fit a 1.3 crank and conrods will it be safe to skim the engine and roughly how much by.
just another point to tuning a 1.2, is it not worth porting and polishing the head and inlet manifold, fairly cheep and easy to do!

matt_vaughan
26-02-10, 11:54 AM
Probably. I'm going for higher engine carbs (CBR900) as I want higher end power.

As far as I've read, smaller carbs give better low down torque, larger carbs produce higher end power.

Depends what you're after really. Those R6 carbs will need the jets drilling out, or replacing, weber ones can be used.

IIRC a good starting point for 1200/1300 engines is about 135-140 jets, then trial and error is the aim of the game, unless you have enough dollar for a wide band lambda sensor.

I'm currently porting and polishing a head for a college portfolio (Motorsports) so I'll be putting up a kind of "How I did it..." rather than a guide, as some would cringe at the stuff I've set to on this head lol

jackhines15
20-04-10, 03:13 PM
from all this work what is the power gain?

b16nov
06-07-11, 01:27 AM
great all the info was looking for, cheers

binty2k8
13-10-11, 10:34 PM
hey guys sorry to sound a bit dim but read through this and cant seem to work out which is the best mods in simple form
i was thinking 1.3 sr cam
4 branch
k+n pancake filter
and a 1.3 sr carb
now the thing i was wondering is are the sr cam and the sr carb with the inlet a staright fit with no mods to do at all and will the car still run good without any setting up or anything afterwards sorry if this is just bringing the same things back up just got bit confused

turbojolt
22-10-11, 01:42 PM
cam yes and the carb no imob

DuBsZ
24-02-12, 03:56 PM
bit of an ask but anyone fancy doing an updated version of one of these?
Would like to know whats actually been put in to practice and tested :).

mowgli
24-02-12, 04:02 PM
all the stuff on this guide is proven to work on the 1.2 carb 8v, there is a guide for the spi version too.

put simply, there is no substitute for cc's, and a bigger engine in std form will always run rings round the 1.2