PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* Fit a Gripper diff in a F16 Box

nova---chris
16-12-05, 09:41 PM
Ok hopefully this little article will help people debating wether to fit the gripper plate diff instead of quaifes ATB diff.

Firstly WHY a plate diff as oppose a ATB LSD. Well having driven with quaifes ATB LSD i found it to be quite snatchy under track driving conditions. Other people have used the quaife diff without any problems mind. The quiafe will bias power from the wheel with no grip to the wheel that has the most grip.

Now the gripper diff is alot more progressive than the ATB one.
If a broken drive shaft occurs it may well behable to limp you home due to it driving both wheels. Also i think theres alot more scope with the plate diff with different settings such as ramp angles and pre loads.

Now the fitting part.
You will need to remove your diff from the gearbox casing. Then remove the crown wheel from the standard diff. Then just reverse the prodedure in fitting it to the Gripper diff.

When i came to fit the gripper plate diff into my f16 case the first thing you will find is the speedo drive wont fit. So yes that goes in the bin. A digital pick up is probably the best alternative. Then you will find the diff housing is alot wider than the normal diff. and also wider than its counterpart the quaife diff. So firstly you will need to grind away some of the speedo housing and also some of the actual casing.
Below is a picture of where will need modifying before the diff is fitted.

Make sure that when all grinding is undertaken that protective goggles are worn and also perhaps a face mask for those very fine particles of alluminium! Make sure the gearbox is cleaned well before you fitt the diff and crown wheel back in. We dont want any bits of metal causing later problems. Take the extra time and do the job right!

Once you have got the diff back in just give it a spin to make sure all is fine and theres no rubbing ect ect.
Then its a case of putting your cover plate back on and putting things back together.

http://www.chrisuk22.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/novaload/gearbox%20guide.JPG

Disclaimer
All the information in this article is expressed as the personal opinion of the author and in no way will any liability be accepted for any loss or damage however caused as a result of following the advice given herein.