PDA

View Full Version : 288MM DISC CONVERSION

Anonymous
22-07-00, 12:16 PM
I have bought some 288mm vectra front disks and calipers for a brake conversion. Has anybody done this conversion? Do the calipers bolt straight on or do I need conversion brackets to get the caliper in the right place? I can re-drill the five stud discs to the four stud pattern no problem, however the ones you can buy have a special collet fitted in the centre hole so they are a snug fit on the drive flange does anybody know what to use for this? Are they made up on a lathe? Can anybody sell me some?

Anonymous
23-07-00, 03:58 PM
use ur callipers with the smaller 248mm (i think) discs from the astra 16v and itll sort all ur problems but be warned b4 u fit them have a good look at ur front cross memeber were the tye bar joins on from the bottom ov the strut. if u have any rust here than get it plated up completely over the top. go well over board with the metal plating or the force ov ur brakes will snap the front crossmember. i fitted my brakes and then relised that the traking was out and when we checked the crossmember was fracturing. to this date my crossmember has been plated up 3 times and now it is going again. im going to price up a new cross memeber tomorrow coz its to far gone.

its not as though my car is a rusty barge and when i fitted the brakes it just looked like surface rust. this problam is just rearing its ugly head on my mates mint sr and he was nearlly crying last night when i pointed out that his drivers wheel is about 1cm further back than the other :(