PDA

View Full Version : Lowering

Anonymous
22-07-00, 12:26 AM
I'm looking to lower my Nova next month, I'm gonna go for a -60 drop and I was wondering whether or not this would effect the fron camber? I've read the haynes and it reckons camber is set from the factory, so I'm guessing it should be ok? Also I'm running 185/60/14 tyres, will they catch on the arches?

Cheers!

Wardy

Anonymous
22-07-00, 10:04 AM
If you are running vauxhall offset(49mm) wheels the tyres will be a mile off the arches. The camber of the front wheels will be afected, if the suspension is lowered. To rectify this you can fit the strenthened track control arms which have an adjustable rose joint on the inside, which allows you to shorten the track control arm slightly correcting the camber. Another cheap way to correct the camber is to slot the top front strut to stering knuckle bolt hole on the strut, this will allow the top of the stearing knuckle to move further out away from the car and back towards vertical. You will need a camber guage to measure the angle. Refit the strut but on the top bolt fit a large heavy duty washer on each side. When the camber is set correct with the bolt nipped so it can't move weld the washers to the front strut, MAKE A GOOD JOB OF THIS! also the washers must be a very good fit with no play. Having said all this you could just see how the tyres wear before doing anything. You may also need to bolt the rear spring to the rear axle with about 10-12mm bolt and large plate washers to stop them falling out when launch it over the local humped back bridge. I hope some of this info is of use to you.

Anonymous
23-07-00, 03:50 PM
hey pj u know more than me????????? not fair!

Anonymous
23-07-00, 03:50 PM
hey pj u know more than me????????? not fair!

ha ha ha or maybe not!

smitty5door
04-07-04, 10:40 PM
i would say it is possible to lower

Philsutton
04-07-04, 10:49 PM
no trouble with those wheels/tyres and a 60mm drop, hell drop it bout 150mm if you want an they wont rub. before i had my new wheels i had a set of astra GTE wheels and wound drop my suspension all the way on the back, it came down to about half of the wheel an i have round 5 door arches never rubbed once.

Philsutton
04-07-04, 10:50 PM
oh dear thats a very old post