PDA

View Full Version : And So It Begins...*First Ever Nova*

olix99
15-04-07, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone, just purchased my first ever nova today, taking delivery on wednesday :D

Well now to the fun part, its only really half a nova, as its a rolling shell just waiting to be turned into something great (hopefully)

This is the nova in question, http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78677

This is my first ever nova and im really looking forward to the project, looks like a great base to start work on.

The Plan :

a fully road legal everyday car but track inspired (cage and buckets etc)
1.3 SR engine on twin weber 40/45, fast road cam etc hoping for a nice amount of power for low insurance (as im only young a C20XE/LET is out of the question lol)

im sure plenty more plans will emerge as time goes on, i have a car to run around in so this project can take all the time in the world as it were (although im sure RJ is STILL the slowest ;) )

Taking inspiration from joff, im thinking Europa Blue for the shell, either that or Black Sapphire or UltraBlue Pearl.

Any opinions and help is MUCH appreciated - im going to need it :D :tard:

cheers guys:thumb:

Nova-Dan
15-04-07, 08:22 PM
welcome to nl and hope you get what you want from your nova

NovaLad
15-04-07, 08:25 PM
Good luck with the project ... Keep us updated ;)

vaughanmc
15-04-07, 08:26 PM
another white nova :D

good luck with it!

olix99
15-04-07, 08:28 PM
actually vaughan its in Primer ;)

going to be sprayed Europa blue/ultrablue pearl/black sapphire unsure yet lol

vaughanmc
15-04-07, 08:29 PM
ahh well -- looks like a white nova lol

should be nice all painted up :)

olix99
16-04-07, 12:35 PM
Well only 2 days now until i take delivery of her :D , just wondering if anyone knows ware i could grab a 1.3/1.4 SR engine & box pretty cheap?:confused: :thumb:

draper
16-04-07, 12:36 PM
parts for sale section ??

olix99
16-04-07, 12:38 PM
been looking but cnt find much :(

olix99
18-04-07, 08:04 PM
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1226/dsc00294pt7.jpg

as it sits on my driveway :)

Can't wait to get started, although not sure WHERE to start lol

i am going to strip off as much of the shell as possible and give it a thoughrough check for rust and holes etc, get all tht sorted first, tidy up the welding and possibly add strengthening kit.

was also thinking of MK2ing the front end (MK2 wings and grill)

and may replace the fibre glass bumpers with standard ones :thumb:

ideas or opinions?

Watch this space for further progress ;)

Nick
18-04-07, 08:18 PM
Could run it as a mk1, with the bog-standard bumpers. Like dans Track-car !

Saves weight !

Martin
18-04-07, 08:19 PM
Looks a good base dude.. good luck..

can we please have vidoes of you smashing **** out of those fibre poo bumpers lol

another yorkshire man i see.. i'm from donny but live in ****ty scunny atm

check my nova its in projects "project FTU" cheers

Martin

olix99
18-04-07, 08:50 PM
will do martin :thumb:

this isnt going to be a track car Nick, going to be a road car but track inspired so roll cage and stuff like that lol, but the fibre glass bumpers REALLY have to go lol

olix99
21-04-07, 06:56 PM
UPDATE

today gives nice weather and therefore progress :D

The front and back bumpers were removed as were the fornt grill headlights and the wings...like so

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4039/dsc00295lr6.jpg

This showed a small hole here...

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/9893/dsc00297uh3.jpg

..and is the same on the otherside :(

But it was nice to find some MINT inner arches...like so

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2260/dsc00296zg1.jpg

...and the same goes for the otherside, which is very nice.

The front panel is bad in a few areas that have been previously patched up, and the rear panel is in even worse condition with basically the entire thing plated up. This calls for a new front panel and a new rear panel :thumb:

MK2 Front wings and grill are on the cards as is a harry hockley plating kit...

Watch this space for progress :thumb:

dj_wudgey
22-04-07, 10:27 AM
honestly mate dont waste you time with the mk2 front end theres not enough mk1's plus the mk1 looks twice as good lol but other wise should look nice mate

olix99
22-04-07, 11:14 AM
honestly mate dont waste you time with the mk2 front end theres not enough mk1's plus the mk1 looks twice as good lol but other wise should look nice mate

Personally i like the look of the MK2, nothing is final yet im just putting out ideas and gettin comments for opinions :D :thumb:

The engine to be put in is the..14NV on Twin Weber 45's, Piper Cam, Piper Pully, fully rebuilt with ported,polished,skimmed head.

Also the colour choice...still not certain of a colour, but i want it to be blue, and a vauxhall colour, im thinking of Europa Blue/Ultrablue Pearl/Arden Blue.

Any other suggestions im totally open to ideas :thumb:

olix99
27-04-07, 05:33 PM
Right the engine choice has now changed, i want to go with something a little different, and the base is a 1.6, and thats all i know at the moment!

don't know weather to go 8v or 16v or what to go for with the rest of the engine.

Ive always wanted a turbo car and i know you can turbo any car if you really want but how reliable are they? how long do they last? This car im going to want to be keeping for a fair few years and dont want the engine packing up on me after 6 months lol :thumb:

Twin Weber carbs were another plan, on the topic of carbs, someone asked me at college if it were possible to turbo a carb car, this got me thinking...*ideas*

Any suggestions on an engine spec for a 1.6 ? :confused:

thanks a lot :D:thumb:

kevster
27-04-07, 05:41 PM
shell not looking that bad dude , good find keep up the good work

olix99
27-04-07, 05:46 PM
cheers kevster, will do :D hoping to get some time on her this weekend :thumb:

kevster
27-04-07, 06:12 PM
yeah i need to do some to mine but looks like bloody rain :(#

olix99
27-04-07, 06:34 PM
damn :( tis bright and sunny here :D (for a change)

i need to get my head round an engine spec pretty soon!

kevster
27-04-07, 07:17 PM
what you going to put in her then dude ????

olix99
27-04-07, 07:42 PM
Wanting a 1.6 lump but no idea on a spec, thought about a C20XE as insurance was nowhere near as bad as i thought, but i want to be different, plus ive always wanted a turbo car, but i cant get covered on an LET lol

i read something Stuart said on the topic of turbo 1.6 8v lump saying he wouldnt envisage converted engines to last more than 10k miles..that kinda put me off lol

kevster
27-04-07, 07:46 PM
yeah i bet lol xe i love them

olix99
27-04-07, 07:50 PM
so now im REALLY confused lol, this build is going to be a full on custom rebuild basically ending up with a brand new car, like joff and his LET, and as a result i want it to stand out from the crowed and not go XE like everybody else and be a little bit different.

Was thinking about turboing a 16SE but after the 10k lifetime comment...im not sure as i want to have this car for a rather long time without having to rebuild the engine every 10k lol

kevster
27-04-07, 08:01 PM
so now im REALLY confused lol, this build is going to be a full on custom rebuild basically ending up with a brand new car, like joff and his LET, and as a result i want it to stand out from the crowed and not go XE like everybody else and be a little bit different.

Was thinking about turboing a 16SE but after the 10k lifetime comment...im not sure as i want to have this car for a rather long time without having to rebuild the engine every 10k lol
bin doing mine on and off for 3 years now:cry:

big gra
22-06-07, 01:17 PM
anything happened to the car mate??

olix99
22-06-07, 01:19 PM
not really mate - had a bit of a cash flow problem :( as in - i havnt got any lol

Although im starting a new job on the 2nd of july, so i should get a nice injection of around 1K every month - WATCH THIS SPACE FOR PROGRESS :D