PDA

View Full Version : insurance compaines and mods = ???

cooper_nova
20-02-07, 09:12 PM
i phoned up my insurance company this evening to to tell them that i am putting 2ltr 16v front brakes on my car and asked how much extra it would be....1st question he asked me was does it improve the performance of the car?..to which i relpied as in make it faster???...no.. ok he said i'll calculate your new quote...sorry mr cooper there will be no change to your premium..

i nearly died with shock but am quite happy as all mods declared so any acciedents and they can't worm there way out :cool:

Iain
20-02-07, 09:18 PM
1827 posts and not found the insurance section? :p What company are you with?

Driver
20-02-07, 09:18 PM
for 2.0 16v brakes and lowered on springs and shoks they tried to bump it up by ?300 for me :O being 17 i js said balls to ya got a phone call onli 13? increase :P

cooper_nova
20-02-07, 09:25 PM
1827 posts and not found the insurance section? :p What company are you with?

oops:cuckoo: forgot about that lol feel free to move it ;)

i'm with norwich union fella :thumb:

Matt2107
21-02-07, 09:22 AM
I'm surprised at that.
Didn't think Norwich Union would insure any mods at all.
Might be worth getting written proof?

carls nova sri
21-02-07, 11:42 AM
im with norwich union and think there a rip off im 20 and got 2 years no claims and im paying ?720 fully comp on a nova sri its the cheapest i could find though

wisewood
21-02-07, 11:46 AM
technically you lied to the guy on the phone. He asked if your modification improved the performance of your car, and you said no.

Increased braking capacity is still an increase in performance... oh so they'll say when it comes to paying out.

chimp007_uk
21-02-07, 01:22 PM
i was with norwich union, and they told me that they didn't insure mods...

they are useless mind, especially as they are now in india. i got the insurance on the manta renewed (and swapped from the dead gte to the manta etc) for ?814 then 2days before it starts i get a letter saying they've finally realised that i had lost my ncb, even though i'd told them when i renewed it and wanted an extra ?567... lol i told them where to shove that, and went and insured the manta with lancaster for ?589 fully comp with an agreed value etc, eu cover 10k mile policy! and they insure modifications and if i do track days etc etc :)

Jack
22-02-07, 10:25 AM
You could argue that bigger brakes do make a car faster as they allow you to stop later. Anywho, get it in writing and they can't try to worm out of it later.

Adam
22-02-07, 01:49 PM
Every mod on mine is listed in the insurance documents. So i'd make sure you have it on papaer that they know about the mod.

Altho some are a bit vague on mine, "Uprated brakes"

Im not with NU tho.

cooper_nova
25-02-07, 01:36 PM
Every mod on mine is listed in the insurance documents. So i'd make sure you have it on papaer that they know about the mod.

Altho some are a bit vague on mine, "Uprated brakes"

Im not with NU tho.

got the revised certificate through and it says nmr alloy and uprated brakes under the mods section so all's good :D...they can't get out of it now;)

Matt2107
26-02-07, 04:43 PM
Nice one!

cooper_nova
26-02-07, 08:54 PM
cheers fella;) all i got to do now is fit them lol