PDA

View Full Version : 1200-1300 SR conversion

greg1.4
21-01-07, 09:53 PM
hi, i know its a long way away yet but i am just wondering how much insurance will be on a j reg 1200 merit nova with 1300 sr engine when i am 17 years old. The mods that will be on it are- twin choke carb, 4 branch manifold, K&N filter, peco exhaust, lowered 40mm, G-Max gas struts, gsi bumper, gsi spoiler, gsi skirts, gsi interior and it all colour coded, digi dash and a gsi steering wheel. Oh and of course a set of alloys. I will be insuring it through my dad/mum to bring the price down a bit. Should i declare everything or is there some things i can get away with?

When insuring it do i tell the company it is a 1300 nova, a 1300 sr nova, a 1200 with 1300 sr engine or just a 1200 with a 1300 engine in. Do i need an engineers report or a certificate or something to say the conversion has been done to a good standard? Any info/advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Greg

Iain
21-01-07, 10:18 PM
i am just wondering how much insurance will be on a j reg 1200 merit nova with 1300 sr engine when i am 17 years old.
If it's anything like my first years insurance... Stupid amounts. I don't think all insurance companies insure engine conversions, too. Most that do (Flux, HIC etc) all tend to be 19+.

I will be insuring it through my dad/mum to bring the price down a bit.
Not sure that's entirely legal

Should i declare everything or is there some things i can get away with?
I'll bet there's some things you may get away with, but if you're going to pay for insurance you might as well do it properly and declare everything IMO.

When insuring it do i tell the company it is a 1300 nova, a 1300 sr nova, a 1200 with 1300 sr engine or just a 1200 with a 1300 engine in.
Tell them it's a 1200 with a 1300 engine.

Do i need an engineers report or a certificate or something to say the conversion has been done to a good standard?
Not done it but I don't think so.

Jack
21-01-07, 11:42 PM
Declare ALL mods. I can't see them liking that carb though. Some insurance companies will require an engineers report for a conversion (DVLA only need one if you're lowering the engine capacity), probably more so if its a DIY jobbie.

As for insuring it in your parents name, although there's no specific law against it, you're technically defrauding the insurance company as you're saying your parents are the main driver and you use the car occasionally. Insurance companies are wise to this, and if you are involved in an accident whilst driving the car they may well ask you to prove you're not the main driver - harder than you might think, espcially if mummy/daddy have their own cars.

Your best bet would be to either stick with the 1200 til you're 19 and can go with flux/HIC, or sell the merit and get an original SR.

welsh_roadrally
22-01-07, 06:20 AM
Could easily end up being more expensive to insure than a GSi,Insurance companys dont like modified cars and even lightly modified base spec cars often end up costing more than top spec standard cars:roll:
I'd get some quotes first before you start changing parts just to be on the safe side.

greg1.4
22-01-07, 10:13 AM
looks like i will be doing this car up and using it as my first car for a wee while then sell it and get an original sr. Surely there is a way round this problem i have? has anyone ever managed to insure a 1300 sr conversion when 17? i really want to have my merit on the road with a 1300 engine in it.

Jack
22-01-07, 10:25 AM
Why do you want the 1300 engine in the 1.2? As said, if you really want the 1.3 you'd be better off selling the merit and using the proceeds for buying a 1.3SR, or even a 1.4.

Unfortunately the only insurance companies to touch cars with engine conversions are HIC and Flux (the latter of which is best avoided), possibly also Sky, and have a minimum age requirement of 19.

greg1.4
22-01-07, 12:43 PM
looks like i am just going to have to run with the 1200 engine in for a while. I will probably end up sticking the 1300 engine in after a year or 2. Thanks for all your help guys.

Greg

Iain
22-01-07, 05:52 PM
1200 is plenty when you start driving :thumb: I've had my 1200 for just over two years now to build up some NCB for something bigger.

Riggy
22-01-07, 06:00 PM
lol a bit random thread really but , there is now way on earth that anyone can tell you a rough price as insurance is goin up all the time

my first nova was a 1.2 g reg sting and it cost me ?902 with LV but that was ages ago

but my fiancee's brother passed his test last year and his insirance on a 1.2 clio was ?3500 , and that was the cheapest he could get it , **** know what it will be this year as he has written off the clio and a quicksilver ,

and to make it worse he has bought a saxo vts lol silly boy lol