PDA

View Full Version : Learner driver insurance

dannyb
12-08-06, 12:03 PM
I am 21 and have been driving for 3 years without any convictions or problems. A few friends have asked me to take them out on L plates in their cars as they have their tests in a few months and need the final practise of driving. What kind of insurance will I need? Will I need to be insured on the car even though they will be driving? If anyone else has been in this same position can you tell me how you did it please!!!

Jack
12-08-06, 12:54 PM
The supervising driver must

* be at least 21 years old
* have a full driving licence (for the type of vehicle they are supervising in - manual or automatic), which must have been held for a minimum of three years.
* be insured to drive the vehicle and to have placed the learner driver on the insurance policy
* ensure the car is in a safe and legal condition
* meet the minimum eyesight standards
* ensure the car displays L Plates (or D Plates in Wales) if a learner is driving

Source (http://www.helpingldrivers.com/law/supervisor.htm)

So yes, both yourself and the learner will need to be insured on the vehicle. Bear in mind that YOU will be considered in control of the vehicle, so any offences (speeding etc) will be recorded against you as well as the learner. Also says on that site things like mobile phone and drink drive regulations also apply for someone supervising a learner; you're also responsible for the condition of the car.

matt1chelski
12-08-06, 09:27 PM
Just to check, the supervisor can be insured tpo on there own fully comp policy cant they?

Jack
13-08-06, 08:04 AM
If the FC policy states it covers other cars TPO then I would guess that'd suffice

dannyb
14-08-06, 05:15 PM
Lovely stuff, thank you Razorjack and Matt. I'll ring the learner drivers insurance company to insure myself on his car, at his expense!!