PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 torque steer

Anonymous
05-02-01, 01:38 PM
I have been giving my 2.0 nova a run in to see what problems need sorting. It torque steers quite alot and tramlines. Has anybody else had similar problems with a 2.0 conversion. I am planning to fit strengthened/rose jointed track arms so I can reduce torque steer and correct the camber which is out due to lowering. I am going to reduce the tyre pressures to see if this helps the tramlining. Anybody got any other sugestions? I think the wheel offset may also be a problem.

Anonymous
05-02-01, 02:00 PM
you need the tracking spot on but to do that with a 2.0 you need tie bar mods caster and canver adjustment etc.....

Anonymous
05-02-01, 02:04 PM
Wheel offset is most important, but I also know that when Courtenay do their conversion, they move the front anti-roll bar. Where it joins to the front, they lower the bracket by 1.5". The first reaon is to get extra clearence for the exhaust down pipe, and the other is that it transfers the load under acceleration forward rather than up. This means that the front of the car lifts up less. What model was the car, and what offset are you runnin?

Anonymous
05-02-01, 03:07 PM
The problem is I don't know the wheel offset, I will check them again tonight see if I can find any markings. I know about the lowered tie bar brackets, but will they help reduce torque steer or i
s it for other reasons?

Anonymous
05-02-01, 03:53 PM
Courtenay just say that it helps get the power down.

Anonymous
05-02-01, 04:03 PM
They must do it for a good reason, I'll do the track arms and then see if i can make my own strengthened lowered tie bar joints using some rose joints.

Anonymous
05-02-01, 07:46 PM
im intrested in this tie bar mount thing can anybody shed sum more light on it?

my car used to tramline loads but after i pissed about with the camber its okay

my girlys nova has 36mm offset wheels on it and that is lowerd by about 50mm and hers dosnt tramline at all

Anonymous
07-02-01, 12:01 AM
tie bar mounts need cut in half and lengthened by inch and a half may be two. This let you get antiroll bar on which is always good and for somereason it kills torque steer. I've got strengthend bottom wishbones etc and poly bushes. I run 45mm offset front and 40mm rear with not a lot of torque steer at all. You will always get some cause its a feck of engine but no more then other hot hatches.

Anonymous
07-02-01, 09:12 AM
Lowering the tyre pressures helped alot, but I have cured it totaly now by snapping a driveshaft, it's great it doesn't torque steer at all!

Anonymous
07-02-01, 04:49 PM
just out of intrest what is torque steer and tramlining??

it may soud dense but i want to know :)

cheers
cambridge

Anonymous
07-02-01, 05:43 PM
Tramlining is when you hit something like a white line in the road and the car tries to follow it. Torque steer happens under hard acceleration, the car pulls to one side or the other, I think it is caused by suspension geometry and wheel offset, it is made worse on a 2.0 because under the power the suspension and joints flex and move.