PDA

View Full Version : Bottom end

Anonymous
22-01-01, 01:12 PM
my cars done 110,000 miles, and in about 2-3 months im having the head decoked, skimmed and new valves,new valve seals, head gasket and new head bolts etc and a kent fast road cam along with new tappets etc. ive got a weber carb, magnex exhaust and k&n filter at the moment and the engine is quite sound. does anyone reckon i might have probs with fucking up the bottom end?, i dont want to put a conrod through the engine of fuck up a piston or something.

Anonymous
22-01-01, 01:49 PM
please people correct me if im wrong but novas dont have conrods do they?? since we have enterd the 80's pretty much all cars have had ohc engines!!!

just a point thats all
cambridge

Anonymous
22-01-01, 02:01 PM
dduuuurrrrhhhhh!!!!!!!!u dumb shit,
ur thinking of pushrods...all engines have conrods,
so yes u r wrong,just a point thats all
stan

Anonymous
22-01-01, 02:08 PM
Considering u will have the engine basically stripped 2 do the head work
u might aswell, if u've got the money,get the bottom end rebuilt. It'll save work and money later.
good luck m8

Anonymous
22-01-01, 02:14 PM
a tad harsh there stan push con similar line of thourght!!! hey its a monday we al make errors!!!

Anonymous
22-01-01, 02:31 PM
Sorry m8,didnt mean 2 cause offence!!!!

Anonymous
22-01-01, 02:39 PM
thats ok i admit i wasnt too sure about which one it was :) popes nob----- no hard feelings lol

Anonymous
22-01-01, 07:04 PM
It would be worth fitting some new shells to the crank while the engine is in bits, do a compression test to see what condition the pistons/bores are in.

Anonymous
22-01-01, 07:40 PM
so how much would it cost me for a bottom end rebuild/ and whats involved?

Anonymous
22-01-01, 07:44 PM
is there any telltale signs to show if the bottom end is fucked?
ie noises?

Anonymous
22-01-01, 08:02 PM
Wot about new cam followers m8, c if u can get em cheap cuz most places charge u ?50 a set. But i think i can get em for ?30ish!
If u dont get new followers and u use a high lift cam ur car will sound like a tractor after a week!!!

Dicko

Anonymous
22-01-01, 10:39 PM
no mate im having the cam kit, so they will be in the kit. thanx anyway

Anonymous
22-01-01, 11:04 PM
M8 whilst u're at it why not get the head flowed so the cam carb and zorst can really do their thing?

Anonymous
23-01-01, 06:04 PM
The only real way to check is to measure the bores (side-side and front to back) with a caliper and compare it to what they are supposed to be in the haynes manual. If you feel down the bore you might feel a ridge where the piston rings stop at the top if it is bad. You could also measure the crank to see if there is any wear.