PDA

View Full Version : Hand Brake Light on!!! Ahhh

Anonymous
21-01-01, 09:47 PM
Hi Guys! This is gonna be a silly question but what the hell :) I own a GTE, and if I hammer upto 70mph and slap the brakes hard, *not enough* to lock up, but enough to push it to its limit, the handbrake light will light up, and if I release the pedal it will go off, and if I hit it the pedal again, the light will come on. But it wont come on while I drive around at 30mph? any ideas??? Cheers

Anonymous
21-01-01, 09:58 PM
not too sure but, when i was driving, in the snow, i found when i slamed on the brakes all 4 wheels stopped!!?? how come?? all 4? i dont get it!

Anonymous
21-01-01, 11:15 PM
not being funny but u do have back brakes u no.

Anonymous
22-01-01, 12:40 AM
it happend to me in my old nova, found out my pads were fucked so all the wheels were locking and the handbrake light was cummin on. Soon as i replaced the pads it was ok

Anonymous
22-01-01, 10:04 AM
no I have drums on the back, like any other nova!! Im just saying when I brake hard, the hand brake light comes on, and in the owners manual it states " Seek Mechanical help!" So Im abit worried, but like you say, it could be the pads!? *None of my wheels are locking up! i didnt explain this right did i!LOL ! Umm , If I brake really hard, the hand brake light comes on! thats it!

Anonymous
22-01-01, 10:41 AM
the hand brake light only operated when the handbrake is applied so check the connection to the hand break cause it is ground switching and if the wire is loose then it can touch the body work and that will put the light on

Anonymous
22-01-01, 10:47 AM
Does the brake fluid level warning work the same warning light? Could be the wear sensors on the front pads, if it has them?

Anonymous
22-01-01, 07:40 PM
indeed the light does, and it will come on when the fluid level is too low, so therefore ( i reckon, as i have the same problem) when the brakes get used to excess, the fluid level drops and the light comes on.nothing to do with handbrake.

Anonymous
22-01-01, 08:42 PM
Ok, very good, now could u do me a favour and go measure the internal bore of ur high pressure fuel lines? I need to find out the bore b4 I can get some!!
I've been told it a choice between 8mm and 10mm, but not sure which!! I would think 8 as its only a 1.6!!
Thanx

Anonymous
23-01-01, 12:27 PM
Thats what it is !! Low Brake Fluid !! cheers Lads.

Anonymous
23-01-01, 05:56 PM
well it wasn't the hand brake light then was it, it was the low brake fluid light doh!!!

Anonymous
23-01-01, 05:57 PM
Check round the caliper pistons and rear brake cylinders to make sure you arn't loosing fluid somewhere. Keep a check on the level to see if you are loosing any, it could point out a potentially serious problem.