PDA

View Full Version : CAMBELT

Anonymous
18-01-01, 07:13 PM
This may sound like a stupid question so no stupid answers pleeeeease.
I heard on some vauxhall engines if your cambelt goes it does not do major damage, is mine one of those engines, 89 F GTE?

thanx in advance
p.s. how do i get proper smiley faces on ere then???

Anonymous
18-01-01, 07:17 PM
yes u'r sort of right, it does'nt do to much damage, u might snap afue cam followers and fuck the cylinder head up, its ford's that need new engins when the cam belt goes.

Anonymous
18-01-01, 07:28 PM
cheers m8

Anonymous
18-01-01, 09:24 PM
I`ve seen one go on a 1.8 Astra GTE and it bent the valves. You might not notice it, but it only takes a slight bend to stop the valves seating properly! Its only about ?25 for a new belt and I change em every 35k. Is it worth risking the inconvenience and extra expence? :O

Anonymous
18-01-01, 09:51 PM
apparently anything above 1.2, the valves usually go when cambelt goes :(

Anonymous
19-01-01, 12:19 AM
1.6 novas should be ok if the belt snaps , i have seen lots do it and get away with it
but dont allways trust what a books says . belts are so easy 2 change it is not worth the risk.

Anonymous
19-01-01, 12:44 AM
Eybic, MC is right. A couple of the teeth on my cambelt somehow wore off, then all of a sudden BANG, six cam followers snapped and all 8 valves bent. Basically the cambelt stops the cam rotating which stops the valves moving up and down, but the pistons still move causing the damage to the valves. Needed a full head rebuild really. Trust me change it if you are in doubt!

Anonymous
20-01-01, 07:44 PM
GTE`s have a `safe` engine, as do the rest apart from the 1.2`s. Still worth doing cause it`s a pain breaking down and when you get back to your car someone will have nicked everything woth stealing! :)