PDA

View Full Version : Welding

Aj_1984_99
01-01-70, 01:00 AM
It isnt that difficult. I picked it up when i was 14 and made my own downhill sort of bike. Somewhere like machine mart can sort you out with the gear you will need. If you can afford it an automatic welding helmet is brilliant for beginners. Practice on some scraps of metal alot first and then get stuck into your car. Good luck

GR
29-12-01, 10:43 PM
Lets face it, anything decent u need to add or fit to a nova 99% of the time needs welding.
Wheres the best place to pick up welding gear and i know its difficult but how difficult?!!!!! :>

Vauxhall Nova - Defined in Spain
REFINED IN ENGLAND.

novagrant@talk21.com

""Formally Novaheat 612""

Stuart
30-12-01, 03:26 AM
Its a black art, or a kind of magic lol

Practice on the thinest steel you can find, if you can master it without blowing holes in that then you will be able to weld jsut about anything!! a decent welder will be about a 30-180Amp range if you wanna beable to weld big stuff easily :)

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

Rich Dale
03-01-02, 01:29 AM
If you can't afford a MIG, save up until you can!

I bought a Clark Easy-Arc welder, and although it's not hard to use, MIG is even easier.

I used it to weld on my rear arch on my Antibes without any practise first....the arch was my practise :D

Arc is a bugger though....VERY easy to burn holes, especially in stuff as thin as Nova arches!

(spec. of mine is Easy Arc 115E, 40-110 amps...and only cost ?52ish from Machine Mart)

A proper Gas MIG is best too....gasless ones use a special flux-cored wire which is way more expensive than normal wire that you use with a proper Gas MIG.
You're best off not having one with disposable gas bottles too, 'cos they don't last long, and cost a fair amount too.
Saying all that though, it depends how often you're going to use it, and what you're going to use it for.

The peeps at the shop should help you out ok, but they might try and sell you the most expensive, so don't automatically do as they say! If I had, I would have spent 2.5 times as much 'cos they said I couldn't possibly do my rear arch with an Arc welder, and that my ONLY option was a MIG welder, the cheapest being ?140 (they didn't have the cheaper one in stock!).
Well, I stood my ground and bought the much cheaper Arc, and it did the job.

fxture
03-01-02, 12:25 PM
Ive just bought a 205 mig welder.but does anyone know the laws on the Co2 gas bottles being on the house premises.Because mine needs the big buggers.cheers

PAG
03-01-02, 02:58 PM
needs to be locked up i think mabey in a cage ?????????

wisewood
03-01-02, 08:10 PM
it has to be locked up and be protected enough that if it goes - it wont take half your house with it... or perhaps your family.
my uncle welded himself a cage in the corner of the garage the day he bought it.

The name is misleading - I am not wise, or wooden.

Rich Dale
04-01-02, 02:25 PM
205.....that's a big bugger :O (if it's the Clark one I'm thinking of?)
Almost ?400 worth too!

As for the Gas...a cage would be good.....I'd best tell my mate John 'cos his are just sat in the back of his workshop.....they're not even his either, so he ought to get Elden (my mate who they belong to) to take 'em to his house!
His are those 4 feet tall (ish) buggers.....they last a while at least!

Aj_1984_99
08-01-02, 09:34 AM
well i think i better get welding and make myself a cage cause by bottle is sat right against the front garage door.

Dicko
14-01-02, 01:40 AM
co2 is fine, argon for welding aluminium i think u need it safe!!

Ste_Nova
17-01-02, 12:31 PM
i've got a snap on 180 turbo, does the job nicely, it runs ok with co2 but is better with argosheld light

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Driver required to take car to VBOA/TRAX apply at ste@novaload.net

kevbendle
24-01-02, 12:14 AM
my welder runs off Whitbread CO2 that gets delivered to pubs and its free, just need to get someone in a pub to get it for you,

Don't think welding bottles need locking up, only if your storing a quantity of them, CO2 isn't dangerous anyway,