PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?????

Anonymous
12-03-01, 11:46 AM
The rear arches on my 92 nova, although structurally sound, have minor rust patches along the underside of the arch, but slowly one of the patches is creeping up onto the actual side of the rear wing so u can see it when looking at the side of the car. Now this is pissing me off so im thinking of doing something about it!
Now i know i can probably get a good finish on the newly sprayed area, but what about overspray onto the actual side of the car. I could do with any good tips on how to blend the new paint into the old.
Also has anybody attempted this at home ie: removal of rust, rust preventative treatment, filling, priming and spraying, done a good job and actually managed to keep the rust away?? Or does the rust just come back and u have to do it all over again.
Anybody with any experience of this, what do u think, and have u any good advice or handy tips.
OR do u basically think i am wasting my time in doing this and just basically delaying the inevitable serios rusting of the arches please say so. Also how much would it cost to get it professionally, and is it worth it, and does the rust stay away if done professionally.
Cheers,Tony.:)

Anonymous
12-03-01, 04:43 PM
The only way to get rid of rust properly is to cut and grind it all out totally.

Get out of my sweet shop.

Anonymous
13-03-01, 01:38 AM
Don't bother with sand-paper and wire brushing....the rust WILL return.

Get a grinder, and make sure you've got rid of all the rust, then smooth over with some contour putty and sand to get a flat, smooth finish. If it's not too bad.....don't use a grinding wheel. Instead using grinding disks (look like sand-paper disks and are dark red). Use a grinding wheel, and say goodbye to the metal at an astonishing rate!

As for over-spray.....I remove it straight away, as soon as I've sprayed, using T-Cut, but you can remove it later, using rubbing compound. Also, use rubbing compound to blend the old paint to the new. Then, T-cut to get a smoother finish. You could try using very-fine-grade sand paper (wet 'n' dry) to get a smooth finish, then use T-cut to polish up, but rubbing compound should do it better, without removing any shine.

Remember - just mask off as much surrounding area as possible, to reduce the amount of over-spray, but don't mask close to the spray area, as you'll be left with a definite line of paint, that will be harder to blend. It takes practise, and can be a pain in the ass to get right, so if you can afford it, get it done professionally, if you've not done it before.

If the rust has penetrated deep in to the metal, or even all the way through, you'll just have to grind away more metal.
If it's bad enough, weld in a new arch - but that's drastic, and I only had to do it, 'cos there was no arch lip at all!

If you're unsure about doing it your self....then don't risk it. Body work and paint is very easy to bodge up.