PDA

View Full Version : Flushed Tailgate

Anonymous
23-02-01, 08:06 PM
O.K, I heard the best way to do this is to weld a plate across the tailgate. I cant weld and I was wondering if I could use some very good adhesive/sealant instead of welding, if so how exactly would I go about doing it?

Anonymous
23-02-01, 10:38 PM
best off preppeing it your self (sanding it down to bear metal) and cutting a plate to size then take to garage and get them to weld it on 10 minitue job about ?30 quid id charge if ready to do :D

Anonymous
24-02-01, 11:19 AM
alan learn to weld its not that hard just takes practice!! more of an art than a science

I AM CORNHOILIO

Anonymous
24-02-01, 02:52 PM
just do some mig welding its piss easy, also do u then need to fill lightly to get in flush??

Anonymous
27-02-01, 08:12 PM
You COULD bent the ends of the plate round and rivet the sides from the inside of the taligate (did that make sense?) But better of welding it, not that hard to do just don`t blow holes through the metal!

Anonymous
28-02-01, 06:14 AM
Practice on some old scrap metal first!

If you've never done welding b4, it's quite easy to pick up, but make sure you have all the setting correct - wire feed rate and ampage, or you'll be melting away blobs of your tailgate :p

Once welded, you'll have to grind down the weld as far as poss, without grinding through the weld!, then use nice layers of filler and/or contour putty to get a flush and smooth finish.

Easy job, should only take 10 mins tops. (yeh right)