PDA

View Full Version : Gsi spoiler

Anonymous
08-02-01, 06:16 PM
I'm spraying my Gsi spoiler tonight, it 2nd hand but in good condition. Its got like a sheen to it which makes me think its already been primed with plastic primer. Now i've got white primer and a can of top coat to match my car, i also have a garage in which to spray it, and a calor gas heater to keep it warm. Ive been told to first put the spray cans in warm water to warm the paint, apparently it will give a better finish-is this true??
Any further advice or recomendations as to how to go about this job and get the best finish would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Tony.

Anonymous
08-02-01, 07:13 PM
keep it all nice and warm :) it will appear dull after it dries but thats then got to be left 2 weeks then use cutting paste to get the shine you want then polish it with autoglym and wax it!!

Anonymous
08-02-01, 07:56 PM
keep it warm it will takeabout 15 mins for the primer to go off then give it a light sand down (wet and dry) then another prime then sand again then your raedy for top coat it might need 3 or 4 coates depending on the colour , let top coat harden up for 1-2 days then light sand down with wet and dry grade 1500 use wet though to get even finer sand down after that dry off and t-cut up and then polish

Anonymous
13-02-01, 10:37 AM
Yep, put your cans of paint in some warm water, this helps to give you an even spray from the can. hold the can parallel to the ground, agaon this gives you a good constant even spray. Primming the area is the most important thing, put plenty of layers of primmer and use wet and dry fine sandpaper to give you a smooth finish. It should feel like glass by the time your finished primming. Then apply one coat at a time of paint, allowing each coat to nearly dry before applying the next. Don't be stingy with the paint, but try and apply the paint in one constant stroke from start to finish, spray about 6-12" from the spoiler. you should have a pukka finish at the end. Whatever you do, don't rush it.
Good Luck, Jim