PDA

View Full Version : what can fit in a nova, then?

stvr
04-01-02, 12:56 AM
'ey mateys, i'm new to cars. just got my first - which happens to be a nova :)

so yeah, where can i put speakers? i only have 2 small ones at the back by the parcel shelf atm,

my knowledge goes this far: put them in the front doors, and on the parcel shelf, and a sub w/ amp in the boot. can someone give me the sizes which these areas take, as i dont wanna buy too big for the car! thanks in advance

also, which brands would you recommend for relatively good performance to price, as i have scrapped my idea of a full rockford setup because the nova seems such a "secure" car and i dont want them stolen

in summary:
where can i put speakers in a nova, and of which sizes?
can you recommend me a good performance for cost brand to buy?

thanks in advance!

Steve (n00bie at ice)

adam5
04-01-02, 12:32 PM
Doors
=====
6.5 inch are popular. just put a 3/4 mdf spacer between the door card and speaker so it doesnt catch the bits in the door. if you angle the mdf to make the speaker point at you it will give better sound.
max size depends on how much of a door pod you want to build. Im putting 7x10"s in my door as soon as I've sanded the pod down.

Parcel Shelf
============
what ever you want mate. as big as the thing will allow. I just about squeezed some 8" round speakers into my standard parcel shelf but with an mdf shelf or stealth shelf you can go all the way. 6x9 is popular but I'd go for 7x10.

boot
====
2 10" will fit in easy
you'll probably get 2 12" in too.
depends on how much free space you want in a boot.

you'll need an amp for your sub. for now you can run your speakers of the stereo but I would recommend getting an amp for them too.

good brands
============
down to personal opinion I suppose.
kenwood are a safe bet for speakers.
I've took a fancy to sony subs too.
Aint too keen on the pionner stuff though but they look so pretty.
id get kenwood speakers if I was you mate.
hth

stvr
04-01-02, 02:17 PM
yep, does, thanks
quite like the idea of kenwood coz i want their mp3 one!! :)

adam5
04-01-02, 02:26 PM
you might be best to start with buying seciond hand speakers, subs n amps for cheap prices until you've found out what you like, what you want to do with your build, and what quality you think the speakers are. you could go out and spend a fortune on brand new stuff and find out that you dont like it and waste hundreds.
as for head unit dunno. I've got a clarion at the moment and Ive tried a panasonic one and a kenwood one and neither could beat the quality (especially at volume) of the clarion. my opinion though. I wouldnt mind the mp3 one either

Stuart
05-01-02, 03:49 AM
Sony make some of the easiest to use and best headunits for the little ammount they cost.

Also 2x12" is a waste of space, 2x10" is way way way better.

Kenwood, Sony, Alpine and (as per) Infinity are the best speakers :)

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

stvr
05-01-02, 11:46 AM
definately not getting a sony headunit - EVERYONE i know with sony, no matter which model, the cdplayers skip and cut out on bumps.

what would be a wise investment of my first ?250 - my budget for this month :) replace the back speakers?

neiloakley
05-01-02, 07:41 PM
in my boot, i have two twleves, two eights and i have two 4 inch in the tailgate. I also have three amps, active crossover and ammeter. Flashy lights and lots of red carpet. Anything will fit in, you just have to plan. CT sounds are a good make if you dont want a dent in your pocket. CT sounds is basically clarion but re-branded so it is top quality. If you want pics of my install for ideas just let me knoe. good luck m8

Performance Car Audio - http://customize.9f.com

mikeoxford
05-01-02, 07:55 PM
neil can i av sum picks of ur install sounds PHAT m8!

mikeoxford@hotmail.com or
webmaster@nova-land.com

cheers
mike

stvr
06-01-02, 12:10 AM
same here plz! =)

brian.bb
06-01-02, 12:27 AM
and me brian_bb7@hotmail.com

Stokie Dave
06-01-02, 01:30 AM