PDA

View Full Version : Peak Watts, what?

big_steve_x
12-01-02, 12:26 PM
i have seen an offer of 2 10" subs and a 760 watt amp, the subs are 450 watts each, and the amp can give 2 x 300 watts, BUT, wud i be best finding an amp which can provide the 450watts i need?
or is 450 watts the peak power?, and what is peak power, they are song x-plod subs by the way

Stuart
12-01-02, 05:21 PM
i see i get to explain watts and made up figures again :D lucky me

right peak power can be dervied from jsut about any where (mainly made up) so peak power is a crap guide.

RMS is uaually a better way of matching speakers and amps together.

and ive lost intrest in typing due to banging hangover so basically the 2 x 300 will be fine for those speakers.

for better Watts and values information look at a few posts further down in this forum. :)

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

stvr
12-01-02, 09:28 PM
RMS is a term used to work out the average voltage of a waveform which goes both negative and positive of zero, as the waveform spends the same amount of time both sides of the zero axis, the average COULD be considered as zero watts, but as we know it has an effect we simply use rms to give us the average voltage, by bringing the -ve power to the same axis as +ve power (squaring the number and then working out the route - which is always positive). you then work out the mean value, this is always 0.707 with sine waves, and voila, your rms value. as long as both sides of zero have the same peaks you can use the peak watts on its own

in summary: using the peak value you multiply by 0.707, to give the mean value
hth

big_steve_x
12-01-02, 09:42 PM
lolol, bl**dy h**l good thing i understand those big words u just used!
ok, 2 10" and 2 X 300watts it is

Oh, and what about this OHMs thing??, 4 ohm 2 ohms and 1 ohm, ??, whats that all about?

stvr
12-01-02, 10:54 PM
it is the resistance value of the speaker, though i have a feeling you know that, so i will explain what it has to do with

(Volts rms?) divided by Resistance = Output power

therefore if its divided by only two now instead of four you will be putting twice the power which your speakers can handle through your speakers - ouch! that is why it is important you match your speakers, unless you have compensated for the different resistance :)

note: the input impedance is regarded as infinate, so voltage will always be regarded as maximum. but current will change proportional to resistance :( :)

hth, if you want more in depth info just ask