PDA

View Full Version : Which Amp(s) and other stuff

adam5
10-10-01, 12:06 PM
Hi Ive got the following kit in my car but have no idea of which amps to go for or what else is needed. If you could tell me the wattage and features I require I would be extremely happy.

Heres the setup that is in my car;
4x standard speakers (which maybe replaced for little kenwood speakers at a later date)
2x 6.5" 220w peak kenwood components in Doors
2x 10" 400w peak kenwood freeair subs in back
2x 6x9 100w peak kenwood components
and maybe 2x 10" 400w peak pioneer enclosed subs in boot (if I think their anygood once I see them).

Overall thats 2240watts peak power. which seams like a seriously expensive amp! Could I get away with using lower wattage amp on the componenets and high wattage on the subs?

My cd player only has one RCA output(L+R) so I might have the subs run of the RCA and the componenets of the individual speaker plugs, via an amp.

Will my standard battery be okay to power all this?

Views? I need help pretty soon cause I gotta get the stuff next week. I live in walsall/wolverhampton so any good places local would be nice!

brian.bb
10-10-01, 03:01 PM
first of all get rid of the standard speakers coz their shit,
then run the 6.5" and the 6x9's off the head unit and then run the subs off an amp (alpine V12 are very good and not too expensive about ?150 for 600w)

if i was you i would sell the free air subs then get the enclosed subs and run them of the amp,

that should be loud enough :D

adam5
10-10-01, 04:04 PM
I need free air ones as They arnt going in the boot (going somewhere else ;-) ) and their isnt room for a box. I'll probably keep the enclosed subs as well.

BrianS
10-10-01, 05:40 PM
d0gz, I'm with brian.bb ditch the free air subs, they just can't create bass.

Secondly, put some other subs where you were going to put them, but seal that space off with some fibreglass, etc. I know it's awkward to get in there, but it would sound MUCH better.

As for amps, just take a look at www.cardaudio.com
They deliver next day most of the time, are cheap, and very helpful if you ring them up. They're not local to you though, they're in Oxford!

Good luck!

BrianS
10-10-01, 05:40 PM
d0gz, I'm with brian.bb ditch the free air subs, they just can't create bass.

Secondly, put some other subs where you were going to put them, but seal that space off with some fibreglass, etc. I know it's awkward to get in there, but it would sound MUCH better.

As for amps, just take a look at www.cardaudio.com
They deliver next day most of the time, are cheap, and very helpful if you ring them up. They're not local to you though, they're in Oxford!

Good luck!

Stuart
11-10-01, 03:55 PM
Never fear im here again :D

first off when looking at speaker power handeling you want to roughly quater the stated Wattage, to get the amp power :D

the V12 kicks ass as a very versitiale amp
if your headunit is 4x35 (minimum) run the 6x9's and components off that since you only have on set of RCA's. anyway running off the headunit is more than enough to be a noisy git :D i know coz 4x50W is much much fun.

ive found pioneer subs tend to lumbar about, what i mean is they aint exactly quick off the mark, so if you listen to garage and hippedy hop they are passable, trance they suck.

hope this helps

Dave Pearce, hmm he mixes like a man with no hands

BrianS
11-10-01, 05:57 PM
my link should read www.caraudiodirect.com
Sorry about that, bloody chinese keyboard!!

Ballsy
11-10-01, 06:33 PM
th ebest thing 2 do m8 is go into ur local ice sho and hav ea listen 2 a few ov there amps and then choose, but remeber what sound s good in a shop might not sound the same in a confined space ( ur motor)

bout the battery, the standard vauxhall one should be able 2 cope easily with that but dont play it at top volume for long periods of time without motor running, if u want a new battery and have alot ov spare cash then buy a optima yellow top, or u could just buy a big ass vauxhall one, i hav eone of the biggest that vauxhall do ( fcukin huge ) and that can handle all the stuff av got in ma car

Ballsy

:) mmmmm same shit different Day :)

spanishfly
14-10-01, 10:21 AM
i know that alpine aren't going to make these 'old' v12 amps n e more, so if u look on pages of fast mota and max mower etc u'll find that v 12 amps are v cheap at the mo, from ?99. If u buy a magazine like ca or in-car (both ice mags) u'll know exactly what amp suits u best!

lancia delta or cossie? LANCIA!