PDA

View Full Version : Puzzeled

Anonymous
27-03-01, 07:54 PM
i just wondered i had a jl sub that i think was 350watt and a phoenix gold amp which was i think 2x55watt and it powered it fine i always though if u had a 350watt sub u needed a 350watt amp can any1 expain how it works cheers.

Anonymous
27-03-01, 08:55 PM
Basically it works like this: Subs are generally rated at about 300-500 watts (obviousley you can get higher and lower than this, but this is about the norm). Although if the sub is good quality it will normally take a bit more than this before it goes pop. Amps are rated in watts also (no real surprise there!) but normally they only tell you the nominal output. Max output or peak output is higher than this, normally by quite a bit, 100 watts +.
The best set-up is to get an amp which is about 100 watts below the rating of the sub, and set it up with the rest of your system. Obviousley the louder the amp the more power it will deliver to your sub(s) and the louder the system, but a small amp can be compensated for by using a good sub (like the JL you've got) and a well made box to put it in.
Hope this makes some sort of sense, No doubt someone will reply telling me I've got it all wrong, but thats the way I understand it... :D

Anonymous
28-03-01, 12:00 AM
As far as i can understand it, Cheese is right, just don't go for an amp with a power rating way below that of the sub/s. If the rating of the amp is too low, you could fry the amp as you crank the volume up on the head unit trying to get any decent output from the sub. Also remember that you may be running the amp in bridged mode for one sub so it'll be more than 2x55watts through the bridged channel.

Anonymous
28-03-01, 08:08 PM
Your best off using a speaker twice the rating of the amp. Some (most)speaker power ratings are peak rms, nominal is about half this value. You sholdn`t fry an amp by using a higher value speaker, only protect the speaker from overload. Think of how many head units run 6*9`s over twice the h/u`s power rating and you`ll get the idea! ;)