PDA

View Full Version : induction kit effect insurance?

sm1thson
15-03-05, 06:29 PM
i keep tinking of putting a cone filter on my 1.5td as the induction that is in there is very badly designed (travels round the engine bay a few times and the airbox is cast aluminium and part of the engine so it heats the air!).

im all for declaring all mods to keap it legal, but is it realy worth declaring a filter? (this would be the only mod) (i'm 24 with norwich union (not norwich union direct)).

Jack
16-03-05, 09:13 AM
I don't know how mod-friendly Norwich Union are, but I'd recommend getting power figures/RR printout before and after fitting the kit - I'd guess at it adding about 5bhp at best? This you can then use to prove to the insurance company its not exactly increasing your car's performance by a significant margin if they start going on about "performance mods"

If in doubt - call them and check before fitting it.

hendrix
16-03-05, 03:14 PM
problem is with norwich union when you call them its very hard to understand what they are saying now the call center is in india, im not sure they would really understand what an induction kit was. thats not meant to sound racist or anything though!!!!

Alex
16-03-05, 03:45 PM
shut it racist

hendrix
16-03-05, 03:47 PM
its not meant to sound racist, probably didnt get it over the best way tho. i kno wot i mean just probably bumbled the explanation a bit :oops:

Jack
16-03-05, 04:11 PM
"Hello welcome to Norwich Union, My name is John Smith, How can I help you?"

http://www.selenasol.com/selena/graphics/photos/thailand/indian_guy.gif

hendrix
16-03-05, 04:19 PM
lmao :lol:

Ricks
16-03-05, 04:21 PM
:lol:

Will
16-03-05, 09:25 PM
everytime i ring norwich union i speak to scottish people

i guess it is foreign tho ;)

scott.parker
17-03-05, 03:36 PM
everytime i ring norwich union i speak to scottish people

i guess it is foreign tho ;)

lol..
Well im sure norwich union do a "3" mods only rule,like wheels exhaust and air filter..

So you can do it and they will be ok with it,but best run it past then first..

Scott

Chris
17-03-05, 03:48 PM
the alloy piping you are talking about is a boost pipe. There is no way that you are going to lower the intake temp without fitting an Intercooler

Chris

mad-driver
27-05-05, 11:34 AM
well i tried to declare my magnex that i put on my car and they want an extra 130 quid! Its just an exhaust just makes a noise really

Jack
27-05-05, 12:25 PM
well i tried to declare my magnex that i put on my car and they want an extra 130 quid! Its just an exhaust just makes a noise really
Yeah, but it makes the car more desirable to TWOCers and chavs, so its more likely to get noticed and nicked...

boredbloke
27-05-05, 11:11 PM
i keep tinking of putting a cone filter on my 1.5td as the induction that is in there is very badly designed (travels round the engine bay a few times and the airbox is cast aluminium and part of the engine so it heats the air!).

im all for declaring all mods to keap it legal, but is it realy worth declaring a filter? (this would be the only mod) (i'm 24 with norwich union (not norwich union direct)).

they'll only raise ur premium if it give more than a 10% gain although if you can argue the point that it is a like for like swap due to ur old one going bust and a gm replacement couldn't be found

they may not charge you at all,

I'll be getting away with telling my insurance that my webers are a replacement for my old carb already confirmed it!